• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stuttering between 2 and 3k rpms

LostRacer

CEG'er
So I've had this issue for a while now and have taken a few suggestions.

If I romp on the gas under 3k rpms, the car struggles trying to move. It almost sounds like its trying to spit gas out. If I reset the computer and put it in to learn mode the car runs perfect! It has pep. Gets up and goes like there's no tomorrow.

Things I've tried:
New plugs and wires
Seafoamed this last weekend
Fuel filter was changed roughly 8k miles ago.
Someone had mentioned DPFE at one point. I had one waiting to go in, so I did that as well.

After all of theose changes. I reset the computer. Car ran perfect for a week. Then back to the stuttering. Any rpm past 3k it runs fine.

V6 Duratec Return Fuel.

Any clues or ideas? Thanks.

First thing I would do is pull the codes from the PCM, and see if anything shows up. My guesses from here though would be either bad O2 sensors, or bad MAF.

I should've mentioned..I have no codes currently and nothing pending. Would a bad MAF throw a code?
It should but some have reported that sometimes the car can run crappy for a long time and not show any codes. Open up the fuse (Power Distribution??) box next to the battery. Look for the 3 AMP (Violet) Fuse No. 6 (??). If you can't find one or if it is blown, change it and see if the codes are stored after a few days of driving.

Last edited:
Back