• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question on a possible alignment issue.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
The front passenger side tire is almost bald from the inner sidewall to about an inch into the tire. The steering wheel can't be held straight, otherwise I can make some fairly easy left hand corners :laugh:. To drive straight, I have to slightly aim it to the right side of the car. Drivers side tire seems to be wearing evenly. Also, the car has H&R lower springs, ST200(?) struts, and 18" wheels. I'm hoping it's as easy as just an alignment, and not something mechanical damaged requiring replacement.

Also, previous owner said he had hit the retread of a tire laying in the road with the front passenger side.

Hope this explains the wear issue I was talking about.
Tiretread.jpg

I double checked the driver side tire and it shows slight wear in the same region of the tire.

I know I will need two new tires, but does this sound like it needs an alignment?

It sounds/looks like the bushings are shot in your front A arms. If it's a toe problem you'll get "feathering" wear of the tires. Unless you have CC plates, the only adjustment a technician can make on our cars is the toe settings. I'd make sure the bushings are good BEFORE you buy new tires. Otherwise, you'll eat up the new tires in no time.

Also, you didn't tell us whether your car is lowered. If it is, unusual tire wear is inherent unless you add CC plates.

I've "been there, done that"...

Also, the car has H&R lower springs, ST200(?) struts, and 18" wheels.

Also, you didn't tell us whether your car is lowered. If it is, unusual tire wear is inherent unless you add CC plates.

I've "been there, done that"...

I thought that would have meant it was, my bad if it isn't. Yes, the car is lowered. Though I'm not sure just how much.

Back