• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Should I keep what I have or "upgrade"?

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
I have had Orion 5x7 door speakers for about 7-8 years now. They still sound great and they have that extra inline crossover circuit board on them. I think they are like 30-40W RMS. Kinda look like this:
!BUSCMrQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLl0EpmBKMsBE7RKg~~_12.JPG

I just got 4 new Pioneer 6x8s for my brother's contour. They are the TS-A6872R 3-ways with 40W RMS powered by a Explode cd player. It actually sounds REALLY good in his contour and makes me want to "upgrade" to these.

I have another set of the Pioneer 6x8s that are the TS-A6882R 4-ways with 50W RMS. Should I swap out my Orion's for these Pioneers or ???????
tsa6882r.jpg

Thanks - JOE

It's not like it would make it sound worse if you put the Pioneers in. Maybe look for a low power 4 channel amp to power them, then they would really sound good.

hmmmm, yah I guess it is really more of a lateral move than an upgrade..... I might just do it anyway because of how old mine currently are. Thanks!

Speaking from personal experience. I have a set of "REV" (any speaker made by Pioneer that has a model of TSA-****R is a "REV") series Pioneers. 6x9s (but REVs none the less). These speakers are some of the best components you can buy without spending massive bucks. I am looking to get a set for the SVT.

I may be biased though, as I am a die-hard Pioneer guy from back in the day.

Oh, and BTW, the 6x9s are rated at 330 watts max each.:cool:

I wouldn't expect much difference given the same power. Might sound a little "different" but I doubt it would be significantly better or worse.
A nice 50x4 amp, however, WOULD make a significant improvement.
Even a decent 2 ch (if you can do w/o the ability to fade) would work well.

I have never had powered door speakers before, does it really make that much difference?

Yea it makes a hell of a difference. I have only 2 of 4 of my speakers hooked up. There kenwood and i love them just 2 is enough to give me headache. There powered only by a 580w dual 2ch amp and its still amazing. I would like to get my other 2 hooked up but need to drill holes in the door/body for wiring. I think they max out at 220W and 110RMS. And they were fairly cheap 75$ a pair. I would definitely upgrade and get a amp it makes such a difference.

I have never had powered door speakers before, does it really make that much difference?

YES! A decent quality amp with around 50 watts rms should do the trick for most door speakers. "unless you get into some high end speakers with heavy power requirements"

I agree as well, even with a smaller amp, it's not just the power, you will wind up noticing things in the music that you could never hear before. I use an Orion amp for my doors, sending about 50 wrms to my door speakers, makes them sound very nice.

My front components get 180x2 rms from an under-rated amp :)
I have a replacement amp in my closet that would get them 250x2...hmmm.

Damn, I can't imagine they would need that much power... Then again, I guess it depends on what kind of components you have.

Damn, I can't imagine they would need that much power... Then again, I guess it depends on what kind of components you have.

They're Lanzar Opti6c's, they're actually rated for 250 rms. They are basically knock off's of a $1600 set of Morel's - Supremo 6 2w. The Morel's are rated at 140w. Soundstream has a very similar model rated at 180w.
I'm sure they don't NEED 250, but I might put it on them simply because it's available :)

Sorry for the HJ OP.

Back