• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Consumption

GaryST220

New CEG'er
I am curious to compare oil consumption levels, my engine has done 75,000 and appears to use roughly 750ml every 6,000 miles. A friends identical car uses the same amount but has done 36,000 miles. This is not a complaint, just an observation, as every engine uses oil. Driving style is mostly motorway, but well used.

Furthermoore, since the late 90's, Ford Europe will only use 5W-30 in all of their cars. Which is fine, but I have an internal Ford document which notes that for high performance use 10W-40 and even 5W-40 should used. Yet ask for this at a dealer and they will not supply it or recommend it. Something to ponder.

I am curious to compare oil consumption levels, my engine has done 75,000 and appears to use roughly 750ml every 6,000 miles. A friends identical car uses the same amount but has done 36,000 miles. This is not a complaint, just an observation, as every engine uses oil. Driving style is mostly motorway, but well used.

750ml every 6,000 miles is within normal range but if actually 6,000km then borderline. Currently mine uses about 500ml every 5,000 miles but I have a very small leak also. Original 2.5L engine with 154,000 miles

mine uses about the same plus my pan gasket is bad and I'm lazy and don't want to drop my exhaust so it's getting fixed later. I do a lot of engine braking too though which can cause oil consumption as it gets sucked through the intake valve gaskets on decel. Also I use 5w20 full syn from motocraft and it doesn't make a difference on oil consumption.

Back