• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

turbo'd contour launch techniques

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
i didnt come across a thread dediated to this specific issue. a bud n i were messing around this past weekend. he's got a slightly modded srt4. he took me from zilch. i didnt catch up & pass him till about 75/80mph. thats not good:nonono:. so my question is, how can we better our launching? especially those with turbos. 2.5 or 3.0. doesnt matter. i've got 325ponies to the wheel. whats optimum rpm to take off at and shift without spinning through 1st, 2nd, AAAND 3rd! i'd like specifics if possible. thanx:)

or warming up the tires might help u, But then again the car is light and its pushing 300whp lol .. so try warming up your tires before you blow away your oponets.. :)

Were you using street tires? I understand these cars are hard to launch but DRs/slicks are crucial to hooking up... I assume you saw 96BlackSE's latest run.

Do you have a GOOD boost controller?

TurboXS also makes a 4 stage solenoid setup. That would be much easier to install than the APC AFC-type install. You *could* put the micro-switches in a shifter gate type setup.... 4th & 5th could use the same solenoid.

Maybe a launch control system? Ive never heard of one on a Contour though, or how it would work.

Yes...an electronic boost controller. I had an Apexi AVCR which I never hooked up but you could regulate the boost by RPM or by gear.
good idea. the one that adjusts to rpm sounds sensible.
Were you using street tires? I understand these cars are hard to launch but DRs/slicks are crucial to hooking up... I assume you saw 96BlackSE's latest run.

Do you have a GOOD boost controller?

yeah. i was on street tires. summer yokohamas. i've got a 2 stage boost controller from turbo xs. its kinda weird cos b4 i installed the BC, i was running 8lbs of boost (stock wastegate spring). after the installation, the lowest i could get the boost to after turning it all the way down is 10lbs:confused:. so for right now the low point is 10psi. however, i didnt set a high point.

I can launch mine on street pavement at 8psi and not spin if I keep the revs under 2k:rolleyes: Boost builds around 2600rpm-3000rpm in my car, then when I hit 2nd I flip the switch to 14psi after stomping it.

On the track I get the tires nice and sticky and I launch at 8psi at around 3000rpm then flip the switch to 14psi right when I switch into 2nd, After a few times it didnt spin the tires but a few of those times if it didnt spin, it would bogg the car down. I need more practice but BAD SVT I think each car is going to be different in this case, 2.5l to 3.0l masterpower turbo to garrett's ect...

Yes...an electronic boost controller. I had an Apexi AVCR which I never hooked up but you could regulate the boost by RPM or by gear.
i guy on probetalk that runs 10's in his fwd turbo'd probe gt swears by this thing....and his numbers speak for themself

I understand there is zero traction to begin with, but a boost controller does essentially the same thing as better pedal modulation...

Hopefully someday i'll own a boosted car so I can find out how much of a :censored: it is to drive too... :)

HAH.. get ready. its a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.... anything above 300wheels is hard.. 375-400wheels is worthless to try.. lol

Maybe i'll just stick with my current 3L plans... :)

Or, someone with a boosted tour could let me take it for a quick spin... :idea:

i'm gonna try shifting really quickly from 1st to 3rd, and not letting my rpm needle gets past 4500 in the process. i'm also gonna try focusing more on my guages instead of looking at the other car or feeling out my car. that should gimmie the discipline i need to get to speed quicker.

Back