• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Major degreasing

LauraSVT

I'm a dude, no really!
I've got a 20 year old project car whose engine and subframe show the stains of spilled oil over the years. I'd like to get rid of all oil, sludge, dirt, etc. as easily as possible. The idea of hitting it with a degreaser like Gunk, letting it set, and then rising it off with a watering can or hose is appealing, but I'm concerned about exposing rubber lines to a petroleum based product like Gunk. I've also thought about having someone steam clean the engine. I'd like to hear your thoughts / experiences on the subject. Thanks in advance!

Simple Green is the best stuff I've used. Unlike other cleaners it shouldnt discolor metal or damage plastics/rubbers.

Is that like a "wet" spray on application or a foaming type? I am interested in this also as I am re-painting my engine bay.

you've never seen simple green before? I thought everbody has used it. It's a liquid in a bottle... and u just spray it on.

Simple Green is good stuff. Mix it about 50/50 with Windex and you have a great all purpose cleaner, no streaks on glass, etc etc. Although not sure I would use that combo on a car (never tried it, so not sure it would be 100% safe mixed like that), but for around the house it's great.

Greased Lightning in the purple bottle has worked well for me in the past. I do not allow it to get on exterior paint at all but under the hood I feel okay using it. I doubt it would harm the exterior surface, maybe remove wax at worst. I just try not to get it on there.

I second the recommendation for simple green. You can get a gallon at Wal-mart, then mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle.

Great value, great results. Also works great to clean your hands after your all done.

I just used simple green, and I really am not too pleased. It did clean quite a bit, but I still needed to get in there and scrub with a 3M scotch pad :nonono: and hit most areas with dawn dish water...... It works, but not as good as I thought it would have.

Give it another try Joe.

I mix mine 50% SG and 50% water. After spraying, I let it sit on there for a few minutes and then rinse off. If something is particularly dirty, repeat the application and use a cloth or soft toothbrush/Q-Tip to get at the hard to reach places.

Back