• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stubborn halfshaft removal tool

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
Hi,
I built this a few years ago. On my original '96 Contour, the halfshafts were totally rusted to the hubs. I had to take the hubs, axels and all to a machine shop to have them pressed out. It was a royal pain and it cost a chunk of change.

If you want to build one, you need the following...

Two old rotors
5/8" drill bit
Four 18" pieces of 5/8" threaded rod
Sixteen 5/8" nuts
Sixteen 5/8" washers
Eight 5/8" lock washers
20 ton bottle jack. I got mine from Northern Tool.

It cost about $75 total to build.

You need to use a drill press to drill the rotors. Carefully draw an X pattern on the rotor. Measure so that the holes are 6" apart. After you've drilled the holes, put the two inside nuts on each piece of threaded rod. Spin the nuts onto the threaded rod about 2". Now this part is critical... Lay the pieces of threaded rod down onto a table side-by-side. Adjust all of the nuts so that they are exactly the same distance apart on each piece of threaded rod. Next put a washer on each end and feed it through the rotor. Be sure not to turn the nuts, if you do it will screw up the length. Carefully put on the outside washer, lock washer, and nut. Try to tighten the outside nut while holding the inside nut stationary. Once they are all tightened up, set the whole assembly on end on your table. (It looks like some kind of badass trophy. LOL!) Next, set the jack inside. Put a few wire ties end-to-end so that you have enough length to go around the body of the jack then around one of the threaded rods. Use two of these around the base of the jack and two around the top of the jack. That's it! You're done!

Because of the incredible forces involved, I used four pieces of 5/8" threaded rod. Like I said above, the length of the rods are critical. You want to adjust the inside nuts so that they are all exactly the same length. If they aren't, the shorter rod will take all of the force and break. You may also think that a 20 ton jack is insane overkill. It's not. I was using a 6 ton bottle jack and it worked for a couple projects. On the '96 MTX that I'm working on right now, the 6 ton didn't budge the halfshaft. That's 12,000lbs of force! And it didn't move!!! I got the 20 ton jack and that was able to break the halfshaft loose. Each of those pieces of threaded rod is handling 10,000lbs of force. 40,00lbs total.

A couple readers right now are probably thinking, "Why didn't you use smaller rod? The wheel studs are taking all of that force and are much smaller!" True, the wheel studs are smaller. BUT they are also high-grade bolts with a very high tensile strength. The hardware store threaded rod isn't heat treated. Plus because of the length of the rods, they will be prone to stretching. I had actually thought about using 3/4" threaded rod but settled on 5/8".

Check it out!!!
PB200394_20ton_jackSmall.jpg

I used wire ties to hold the jack between the rods.
PB200395_wire_tiesSmall.jpg

Just put the jug nuts on backwards with a washer to bolt it to the hub...
PB200397_bolted_upSmall.jpg

Lined up and ready to go.
PB200399_in_positionSmall.jpg

Make sure that the jack is centered on the halfshaft.
PB200400_ready_to_goSmall.jpg

Don't go too far. I stopped when the jack was about even with the raised lip of the hub. For the rest of the way, use a gear puller to shove the halfshaft throught and out the back of the hub.
PB200402_all_doneSmall.jpg

Heres' the 6 ton jack that wasn't powerful enough.
PB200386_too_smallSmall.jpg

HTH,
BP

Very clever ButtonPuncher.

I had a real hard time when my wheel bearing went. I ended up swapping out the hub, this couid have saved me hours of cursing. Kudos to ya .... G.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, on my old '96 ATX, I spent an entire day wailing on it both in and out of the car. That's when I broke down and took it to the machine shop to have it pressed out. It was a real nightmare. This only took a couple hours to build and has been worth it's weight in gold.

Nicely done.

I've found this tool works very well but you may have to beat on the anvil section for 30 - 60 minutes with a heavy hammer (dead blow is best) when the spindle is really siezed in the hub:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=2248&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

This tool is more expensive than your set-up. I've just been lucky for the last few years by borrowing the above linked tool from my next door neighbor.

That snap on tool can't even come close to the pressure you need sometimes to get that spline out of the knuckle. Nice tool BP!

I had one axle that wouldn't move a bit. Sledged the hell out of it, gave up and sent it to the scrapper.

LOL! I don't doubt that at all. Before breaking down and taking the ones off my ATX to the machine shop, I had one in my Dad's vice and was WAILING on it with a 5lb sledge. I completely destroyed the punch that were trying to use on it. Totally mushroomed and cracked the head of it. That was all after I had tried with an air hammer for an hour too. It was ridiculous.

BTW, when I was at the machine shop, I remember the look on the big Russian dude's face as the press pushed down on the halfshaft/knuckle. The press went...click...click...click...bump...bump...bump...BAM...BAM..BAM...BAM...BOOM!!!! And the half shaft dropped out. It was incredible. I don't know how many tons that the press was but it was big. I wish I had video taped it at the time. LOL!

Nicely done.

I've found this tool works very well but you may have to beat on the anvil section for 30 - 60 minutes with a heavy hammer (dead blow is best) when the spindle is really seized in the hub:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=2248&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

This tool is more expensive than your set-up. I've just been lucky for the last few years by borrowing the above linked tool from my next door neighbor.

Plus, mine looks cooler. :D

BP

Dude, I love this idea. I've been trying to figure out how I could make a cheapo home press with a bottlejack and you just went and did it. With a few mods to allow other workpieces to be used this could be gangbusters. Using old discs is brilliant.

LOL! Why? They are just holding the jack in place until you get it mounted to the hub. They also plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the jack. I guess that if you wanted to go nuts, you could use 12" stainless hose clamps. Those wouldn't break even if you dropped it from a decent height.

When I showed it to one of my co-workers, he did offer to weld it to the rotor. LOL! Nahhhh, I want to be able to take the jack out of the jig.

BP

LOL! Why? They are just holding the jack in place until you get it mounted to the hub. They also plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the jack. I guess that if you wanted to go nuts, you could use 12" stainless hose clamps. Those wouldn't break even if you dropped it from a decent height.

When I showed it to one of my co-workers, he did offer to weld it to the rotor. LOL! Nahhhh, I want to be able to take the jack out of the jig.

BP
back to win

Back