• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another oil leak thread

spikelarue

New CEG'er
I have a leak on my 99 SVT tour

it is dripping from the bottom of the tranny bell housing. Nothing above the oil pan is wet with oil.

I jacked up and supported the car. I cleaned everything off. Then started the car. at first no leak so I revved the engine just a few times enough to open the secondary’s a time or 2 then back under the car on my creeper and the leak was coming down from the indent in the oil pan where the block meets the tranny in 2 little streams. In notice some cracks in the aluminum pan right in this area but it doesn’t look like the oil is coming from there however if the pan is somewhat distorted because of loss of integrity might cause a leak

This engine was rebuilt about 4 months ago and the block is otherwise clean.

any help would be ....well helpful

I have a leak on my 99 SVT tour

it is dripping from the bottom of the tranny bell housing. Nothing above the oil pan is wet with oil.

I jacked up and supported the car. I cleaned everything off. Then started the car. at first no leak so I revved the engine just a few times enough to open the secondary’s a time or 2 then back under the car on my creeper and the leak was coming down from the indent in the oil pan where the block meets the tranny in 2 little streams. In notice some cracks in the aluminum pan right in this area but it doesn’t look like the oil is coming from there however if the pan is somewhat distorted because of loss of integrity might cause a leak

This engine was rebuilt about 4 months ago and the block is otherwise clean.

any help would be ....well helpful

this is just my opinion, but it sounds like when the motor was rebuilt. whomever torqued down the oilpan bolts might have over torqued them causing cracks in the aluminum, which didnt become a problem until everything had settled in. The vibrations from the motor probably opened the cracks up enough to make the seal of the gasket leak in that position. You might either a) only need a new oil pan gasket or b) need a new pan and gasket.

I was looking into one of the bat 2003 oilpans w/ the baffels

186 bones is quite a bit for a pan but if it will fix my leak??

i odnt know but god I hope so

I dont want to have to replace that

you would think they would have

they said the stripped it down to the bare block

so I would hope

I really doubt that the pan was torque down so much that the oil pan cracked. there are bolts that run into the transmission as well as up into the block ...

from what I understand if its oil the is seeping between the block and trans that is normally a rear main seal. but it could also be brake fluid from the slave cylinder.

ok I should have read the post first. if you feel the oil oan is compromissed I would just replace it. but you first might want to try replacing the seal.

Back