• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Tuning Questions and Options

steeno321

CEG'er
Hey guys so I got a 3L put in my car a couple weeks ago and it runs like a charm. My hats off to the guys at 3lduratec. Great guys to work with and they are willing to go out of their way to get the job done and get the car back to you.

I know the next viable step is to get the car tuned for the new motor as I still have my stock 2.5L SVT tune. The guys over at 3lduratec told me the SCT tuning option would be the best route to go and from what I've read on the forums it sounds like a great option. Just trying to keep my options open and see what you guys recommend and some of the options that have been done already. Any input would be great just browsing for the best possible tune.

Thanks

I think you'll find most everyone here is using some sort of SCT product for tuning :)

What year is your car? I know some people use Diablo chips as well, but I think they were the ones that were unable to tune a 00'

Good to hear you made it home. Your best bet for a tune would be to search SCT website or dynojets website for locations near you. I'd start out by looking for a dynojet location and then give them a call to see if they can program your vehicle using SCT software.

your BEST tuning option is, as you have already alluded to, an SCT option..

from there you have two choices

dyno tune at a location that provided SCT tuning..

or..

email tune

If you dyno tune.. you purchase the SCT (from them? offline? etc) and go in.. you pay for a dyno pull and they tune it based on your pulls (however many you pay for,...) the more pulls you make, the more "dialed in" your tune will truly be. There may be a package deal (3 pulls and tuning for $x.xx) Keep in mind that you may be paying for each and every pull with no guarantee that you will get a benefit from another attempt at fine-tuning.. may not get any actual power increase, etc.

Your other choice:

email tune.

Purchase an XCAL, etc, and contact a vendor that provides email tuning.
Nautilus Performance would be MY choice, but there are others. I can only speak for them, and no others, as I don't know the level of service other companies provide.

Nautilus provides the initial tune based on your noted mods and engine size. You use a laptop to "datalog" your car while driving (the same process, really, as being on dyno rollers) and send the results to Nautilus. they tune based on what they see, send the new tune, upload it to your car and re-datalog. You get, AFAIK, as many datalogs as it takes to get your car as tuned in as you want. The main benefits to this method are:
  • its FREE (relatively speaking) to drive down a road and datalog vs. paying for a dyno pull
  • you get as many as you need
  • your tuning will be done by a man who's got more Duratec tuning time under his belt than most anyone else, period!
  • future mods on the car that require a retune will be much cheaper to do with a return email/datalog/tune session vs going to a dyno.

Thanks guys my car is 2000 to answer that question. I don't have any wheel dyno shops around my town so I can't get any real time pulls on a dyno. The email bit sounds interesting might be fun. After hearing what you guys said I think I am going to go with my first instinct and get a SCT tune. Now to find where to go to get one. :shrug:

Back