• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car stalled and now won't start

xdouble

New CEG'er
The car (2000 SVT) started fine yesterday afternoon and exhibited no problems. However, about 30 seconds later as I was starting to drive the engine just quit. I think the fuel pump may have died since I've had problems with it before, but wanted some other opinions.

The engine cranks over fine and makes no suspect noises - it just doesn't start. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it was good, so I pulled up the rear seat and listened for the fuel pump turning on when I turned the key. I couldn't hear anything, but that isn't exactly a great test. I did notice that the low fuel light comes on when cranking the engine though; is this normal?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA

The car (2000 SVT) started fine yesterday afternoon and exhibited no problems. However, about 30 seconds later as I was starting to drive the engine just quit. I think the fuel pump may have died since I've had problems with it before, but wanted some other opinions.

The engine cranks over fine and makes no suspect noises - it just doesn't start. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it was good, so I pulled up the rear seat and listened for the fuel pump turning on when I turned the key. I couldn't hear anything, but that isn't exactly a great test. I did notice that the low fuel light comes on when cranking the engine though; is this normal?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA

Do you hear the car fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to the on position? You should hear a whine noise for a few seconds when you turn the key to the on position.

Check fuel pressure from under the hood. That will tell you if the fuel pump is working or not.

Was it low on fuel, try adding gas to rule it out.

you could also tap the sender while having someone crank the car, this might unstick the pump. You don't have to slam it, maybe use a screwdriver handle. On my blazer I hit the tank with a dead blow hammer while having a friend crank it and it fired up, but not so hard it would dent the tank. This isn't a fix but tells you the pump is at fault, should it start or try to start while tapping on it. But then again thats only if it's stuck and not shorted or open.

The pressure test is also a good idea.

Back