• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AirBag

LGR Mystique

CEG'er
Does anyone know how to remove the passenger side airbag? I Want to remove my dash and paint it..so the airbag will need to be removed
I've got a 98 Mystique

Ive seen one person paint the dash and it was left in the car..IIRC the only way to remove the passengers airbag is to set it off...Some correct me if im wrong.

here ya go. directly from mitchell

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Disconnect positive battery cable. Wait at least one minute. This time is required for back-up power supply in diagnostic monitor to deplete its stored energy.

2. Push sides of glovebox inward, and lower glovebox to floor. Remove 4 screws, disconnect glove box light, and remove glovebox upper cover. Remove A/C duct.

3. Through glovebox opening, remove 2-passenger side air bag module retaining nuts and 2 retaining bolts. Disconnect passenger side air bag module connector. Remove passenger side air bag module from vehicle. Position air bag module on bench with trim cover facing up.

4. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten mounting bolts and nuts to specification.

Yeah but you have to get the shell off of it first before you cant get to the air bag. To take the shell off, without damaging it, first you have to remove the whole dash or else the dash beam gets in the way of the 3 shell retaining nuts.

i believe that removing the glove box will let you access the screws holding in the cover. ford wouldnt design an airbag that to replace, you would need to remove the entire dash. thats just insane

When the air bag goes off it destroys the dash, thats what I've heard anyway.

But yeah there is a big metal bar right in the way. And there is no way to get to those nuts.

you do not have to remove the airbag to remove dashboard, trust me on this, i just removed mine to paint it..., everything is pretty straight forward, but you do have to drop the steering column...

you do not have to remove the airbag to remove dashboard, trust me on this, i just removed mine to paint it..., everything is pretty straight forward, but you do have to drop the steering column...

What does the steering column have anything to do with removing the passanger side air bag?

Well I want to remove the passenger air bag to remove my dash to paint it since i'm doing my interior over. So he was just telling me i don't need to remove the airbag to remove the dash..DUH!!!!

Back