• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Contour Radiator Discontinued??

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
The alignment pin on the top of my radiator was cracked back a little bit during the process of replacing my clutch a while back. I put plastic high temp epoxy over the crack, but it didn't hold good enough so I have a slow leak. Well I called Steve at Tousley Ford to get a replacement and go figure Ford discontinued the radiator! Fricking ridiculous. The SVT Contour hasn't be out of production for even 7 years and they are already discontinuing parts... :nonono:

My respect for Ford is dropping as this is the second car I've ran into problems with the first being by 94 SHO a few years back. That car wasn't even 6 years old when I was trying to find some parts for the thing.

Are there any aftermarket options out there for the SVT Contour in the form of a radiator? I'm doubting it, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

i know that bill talked about a few part being discontinued and he was having 3 radiator in stock.. dunno if he still have it you should give him a call

but im also interested knowing if there aftermarket option for the day i will have to change it

All aftermarket radiators for the SVT are not true SVT radiators.

That being said, I have two non-SVT radiators that will fit fine, they are in the classifieds for cheap and ready to ship.

For what its worth, I replaced my non-SVT radiator with a SVT radiator and didnt notice much, if any, increase in cooling efficiency. There are some SVT owners running a non-SVT radiator and I have not heard of any overheating problems.

After hearing that the SVT radiator is discontinued I decided I'm not getting rid of my spare.

Having 2 running SVT's, I know I will need one at some point.

There is hope!!

After reading through the post on the Rockauto headlight replacements I decided to look at their website and go figure they have radiators to (I thought they only sold headlights)

Look what I found...

svtradiatorpw7.png

notice the assembly number F8RZ8005AA... that is the Ford part number for the SVT radiator, not the regular 2.5L Contour radiator.

I'm waiting for a call to confirm that the w/o AC shown their is a misprint. Then I'm going to order one. If everything checks out I'll let you guys know, but hell for $94.99 why not?! Steve at Tousley even if he could get it was going to charge me $210!

It would be sweet if, by chance, that radiator was slightly deeper than the SVT one.... but I doubt it is. Good find! Mine is functional, but a dumbass mechanic crushed the bottom in... and for ~$100 I can finally replace it (if the rockauto one is truely compatible).

All aftermarket radiators for the SVT are not true SVT radiators.

That being said, I have two non-SVT radiators that will fit fine, they are in the classifieds for cheap and ready to ship.

For what its worth, I replaced my non-SVT radiator with a SVT radiator and didnt notice much, if any, increase in cooling efficiency. There are some SVT owners running a non-SVT radiator and I have not heard of any overheating problems.

Track it and see what you find out. ;)

BTW I don't take guesses on ordering at rockauto. I ordered rear brake lines for my SHO and they weren't correct at all. Their online is far from accurate unless you're ordering something simple. If you want an SVT rad get a used one off of www.car-part.com

I recently sold a 3L SVT Contour that was previously in a front end accident. The radiator was replaced with a non SVT radiator and the car didn't seem to have any side affects from it even with a 3L, not that it should make a difference. Temp seemed to be normal.

Your location might also have something to do with your results. Because it gets really hot here... I'd like a radiator larger than the SVT one, but the last thing I'd want to do is put in the smaller non-SVT rad.

Rockauto has removed the radiator listing for the SVT Contour. Guess it must have been a misprint :(

I thought I updated this thread a while ago?? I guess I missed it.

Anyway they removed it because it was bogus. After calling them numerous times I finally was able to get a resolution on the deal.

The company never made a radiator for the SVT. He told me that the radiator that was listed there was for the Cougar. I then asked why it had been listed under the Contour for the SVT? He told me it must have just been a misunderstanding.

In any case my search continues for a good replacement radiator. I ordered one from a junk yard last week that had 46k on it only to have the junk yard call me back later that day to tell me they found a crack on the side of it and that it would not hold fluid :nonono:

Oh well.

Here's to digging up a really old thread but........RockAuto still has that radiator listed the same - number, description, w/o air cond, etc. It's still there so they didn't change anything. And I need a radiator. Hopefully I can find something now on CEG or maybe my guy Billy Henninger can help.

We should really get Griffen to build us an aluminum replacement. I still have a broken radiator sitting in my garage I can send them. Last time I contacted them it was going to be something like $400+ for the prototype and $290 or something for the production units.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

a guy posted on neco from the uk, there was a company that made one, and it sounded like it was svt thickness

Yup, but they won't ship to the USA. I already worked that angle.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Back