• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mods

Augi

CEG'er
I have been around on this forum back when it was the old forum, then I lost intarweb connections for a whie there. I'm going to take pics of my 'tour when I get the actual intarweb setup again. I have a '96 GL ZETEC ATX, I have done some mods to it including the Sleeper Z intake, MSD coil/ wire upgrade, a JET performance chip, and HKS muffler upgrade with custom resized piping from the cat back.

Now, onto the questions. I'm talking to several people who want to see my car turbo'd, so I was wondering what to upgrade and to what. I ws told the fuel pump, but I don't know what to cross to get the right one. That is where I ask for help.

I also have looked at a few parts for the engine like cams from Comp, and a fuel pressure regulator also from Comp. cams. The problem is... they are asking which engine I have... a 2.0 DOHC ZETEC or a 2.0 ZETEC... Mine is the first one, but I didn't even know they made a differant ZETEC for these cars. That is actually where the pressure regulator comes into play. It isn't made for the DOHC, but is made for the other.

Sorry for the loong post... I just built up so many questions over the time I was gone.

The other zetec was the bi-fuel and they didn't make to many of them here in the states. they did make an abundance of them in europe though so maybe a mondeo website would help you out. Don't know if would even be the same although I don't see why not but maybe that'll lead you in the right direction. Check this pout OI found one at this site. well have a good one and good luck on your project.

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/ford-contour/fuel_pump.html

Can I email the pics of my tour to anyone and have them post them on here?

you can get an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator for a mustang (cant remember what years off hand) it will bolt right on with no problems. both ButtonPuncher and i have one installed opn our cars.

as for the fuel pump you can pick up a walbro 255LPH pump from any number of places. you will want either the GSS317 or the GSS342

hey I just PM'd you about your question. size of pic doesn't matter. I'll only have to edit it for size if it's over 19.5k but I can do that without taking away the quality.

Hi Augi! I was wondering where you went. :) The Zetec forum is starting to perk up.

The minimum turbo buildup parts you want...

Fuel Pump - we use the small-offset-inlet GSS250, F20000141, GSS317, or the GSS342 (the 190 is only good for 280HP, so go with a 255)
Injectors - 42# for up to 300HP, 60# for 425HP
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Mustang MAF, Lightning MAF, or MAFia
SCT xcal2 and a tune

It would also be good to have...

Water-Air Intercooler
Lightning Intercooler Pump
Fluid Cooler aka Heat Exchanger

I would also suggest forged rods and pistons if you are shooting for over 225HP at the wheels.

As for the turbo... What kind of horsepower goals are you shooting for? I have a crapload of turbo plots. ;)

BP

Last edited:
Well, I want as much power as possible N/A before I put a turbo on it. On the old forums, it was posted all over the place that a ATX won't handle more than 200 hp and that the stock intake side of the heads won't handle more than 170 hp (I remember asking about putting the SVT focus manifold on it.) I have thought about buying another zetec and boring it and modding it, and then swap them. The problem is, I still have the problem with the tranny. I know that if it were to blow, I'm thinking of swapping it for an MTX.

They actually rate automatic transmissions by how much torque that they can handle. Our CD4E can handle 200ft#. Not too shabby.

I'd still run a big tranny cooler and synthetic Mobil1 ATX fluid.

A T3 Super 60 or a GT28RS would be perfect for a stock or slightly modified Zetec.

BTW, if you want cams, you really need to get turbo cams. Normal NA performance cams can actually hurt performance with a turbo. You other obstacle is that the Pre-98 head uses hydraulic lifters. The only cams that I know of rated for hydro lifters are made by Cat Cams. I think that SP Motorsports or CTA carries them. I don't know if they have any turbo grinds though.

It may make sense to get a Focus head (solid lifters) and then get a turbo cam from McNews.

BP

I don't understand how you guys say that Aeromotive FPR bolts right up. I had one and returned it. It doesn't fit onto the fuel rail and how do you attach to the return line.

I just ended up getting the small universal FPR with 6AN fittings.

i see both of your zetecs are 98+ IIRC the fuel rails were different than the pre98s. both BP and i have pre98s.

Maybe BP will post up his pic of his mounted on the fuel rail.

On behalf of Augi, these are his car pics. Sorry Augi about the first one it compressed it and auto saved for some reason when I was setting it up. so that ones very small but the rest are good. the last one is one the next post. have a good one.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
here it is, sorry for double posting. by the way what controls that light. does your car have a tcs on it?

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
I don't understand how you guys say that Aeromotive FPR bolts right up. I had one and returned it. It doesn't fit onto the fuel rail and how do you attach to the return line.

I just ended up getting the small universal FPR with 6AN fittings.

Putting a FPR on a 98+ won't really do anything. As far as I know, the fuel pressure is controlled by the voltage feeding the pump. The only thing that you have is a goofy vaccuum pressure equalizer thingie on the rail. (This is all from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Here is the aeromotive on my old ATX Pre-98...

fuel_rail_with_FPR_and_intake_small.jpg

The easy fix for a 98+ is to get a Pre-98 rail, Walbro pump, and run a return line. ;)

BP

Wait a minute. Do all Zetec Contours have a return style fuel system? I just looked this up on my '00 CD-ROM shop manual...

99_fuel_rail.jpg

If that's the case, to use the Aeromotive FPR, you'd just need a Pre-98 fuel rail. No return line plumbing required.

I had always thought that all 98+ Zetecs were exactly like the Focus. Voltage controlled fuel pump to regulate the fuel pressure. Oooops. :troutslap:

BP

Last edited:
So, this is the fuel system by year breakdown of interchangeable parts, I don't have the P/N's for them but this can give you a good breakdown on what parts off of what years will fit your zetec. I didn't get into the duratec but some parts are interchangeable. those are the parts that don't have engine size on them. hope this helps and have a good one.
Fuel pressure regulator, contour, mystique, 2.0l
95-96
97-99
Fuel rail, contour,mystique,2.0l
95-97
Fuel rail, contour, mystique, 2.0l, to 5/3/99
98-99
Fuel rail, contour, mystique, 2.0l, from 5/3/99
99-00
Injector, contour, mystique, 2.0l