• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sail panal how-to

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok what we are going to accomplish here is removing the "contour" part from the rest of the post 98 sail panel. You can do this if you want to put Plexiglas in its place or what ever you would like. If you want to remove it for paint or what ever i cant promise that you wont break the "contour" part. But if you do, don't pry it and just use hi-test fishing line(you have a much better chance of not breaking/cracking) So its AT YOUR OWN RISK. You need to be very very careful and go slow and use lots of heat from a blow dryer or a heat gun. Yes i realize mine change color in this. I painted mine before hand and it looked bad so i said "o well why not do this".

UPDATE: from teamsvtour, you can use hi-test fishing line and not need to pry other than to get it started and you wont have to worry about breaking the part. if your careful.

Ok first we need to drill out the 3 plastic tabs. There are two in the felt/foam on the back and one on the other side.

Image010.jpg

Image008.jpg

P1010117-1.jpg

Next use some kind of tape to protect the black trim from scratches when prying. More that one layer is better. If using fishing line this only applys at the top. Where you start by prying.

Image007.jpg

Now heat the sail panel with a heat gun or blow dryer to help release the adhesive underneath. Lots of heat and keep re heating it as you go. Trust me its works.

P1010127.jpg

Now that you have it heated up start prying it at the top and work your way down. If you are using fishing line and want to reuse the part "contour" part do not bend it. As this will crack or break it.
AGAIN MAKE sure you have something on the trim to protect it.

P1010118.jpg

P1010119.jpg

After you have removed the piece it will look like this.

P1010121.jpg

The adhesive can be removed by rubbing it with your fingers. heat helps here as well.

P1010120.jpg

Yay your done. Now you can put what you would like in its place!
- JON

Last edited:
all i had was a blow dryer and it was enough heat. but yes fishing line would work very well. i will add that, thank you

Last edited:
Oh man, completely off topic from the post, but do you have pics of those sail panels on the car? I am so close to getting a set and painting the center like that to see how it looks because i've never seen it on a t-red.

no i don't. but it looked like crap to me. its just looked misplaced.

I still think it would look better than how they are now... It's been like this since i bought the car. I'd like to keep it unique with the sail panels. I saw a silver frost that had the panels painted like yours and it looked good.

what i'm sporting now
P4081077Medium.jpg

sense your mirror bases are body color it works. i think if the trim was black on your sails it would look nice. but who knows. its all about personal preference.

Back