• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waterpump fun!

DESIGN

CEG'er
Well, I spent the day replacing the waterpump on my 98.5 zetec (again). I know that I didn’t have to remove the timing cover like you earlier guys but man what a PITA.

Getting the old one off took less than 30 minutes but putting the new one on took the better part of 4 hours. Let me share why.

Everything was going great. I had two of the 4 bolts on the water pump tightened up. The next two (the one closest to the timing chain and the bottom one) wouldn’t tighten down at all. I ran to the store and bought a 8mm ratchet wrench assuming that I was just having difficulty getting enough leverage on them with my clumsy ratchet or offset box-wrench. Come to find out they were stripped. Not the bolts mind you but the hole in the block.

So now I go get a 6mm tap after confirming the screw thread. But wouldn’t you know it there is no way I’m going to get the tap and the T-handle between the fender and the block while keeping the tap straight and applying enough pressure to chase the threads. At this point I have removed the new pump for clearance.

I wanted/needed to see if there was any thread at all left in the hole so I ran the screw in the hole and was able to find thread deeper than the 14mm bolt would reach with the waterpump in place. So I went to NAPA (after first trying Lowes) and asked if they had any 6mm by 16mm bolts. They did and after 1.27 I had 4 bolts (I just needed two but thought extras might be helpful.

So, I installed the factory screws into the holes that still had good thread and the slightly longer ones in the boogered up holes. After struggling to get the pulley back in place I filled the car with anti-freeze, water, and a bottle of water wetter and checked for leaks. None were seen. I honestly believe that my waterpump is being held in place with no more than 3 screws but it seems to be fine.

I then spent another 1.5 hours degreasing my engine. Now my car has an amazing 238,000 miles on it and this is at least the third waterpump in the last 100k. The first I had put on when I had the timing belt replaced (preventative) the next one when that one went out and now the third. With a block that has seen this many miles it is to be expected that some holes will be worn out. I always use anti-seize on my bolts to help prevent it but it is what it is.

If I rebuild this engine (probably just replace it) I will re-tap those holes with the motor out of the car.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Jon

Back