• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sand Da Floors!

I have three rooms at my house if you want to keep the ball rolling....I'm dying to get ours done but I don't have the patience or the time (now with the boy starting to move around) to do it myself....

Looking beautiful! Still can't believe you were able to get that out of the floors ... or, well, all of the other renovations you have done, out of the entire house.

thanks guys.
i started putting some trim back up tonight, i only have about 12 more pieces to go and the room is done and time to start the babies room and our room.

ryan, if you sand it i will put the poly on!
haha

wow is all that I can say. I may end up doing this myself. most of the first floor in my house has wood flooring. currently it has carpet on it. how ever pulling back one edge it isn't to bad. just needs a sanding and refinishing.

Wow. That looks nice, how long did it take you? A few rooms in my house could use that.

overall it took me 6 months, but that wasnt working on it constantly

it took me a day to do the main sanding of both floors and a few hours to scrape and sand the edges.
and a day to put 5 coats of poly.
so it technically could be done in a couple of days.
the room is about 130 square feet.

Elky - Wow dude. Wow. I am very jealous, because the living room has unfortunate pet stains all over, which I'm sure has rotted the wood over time. I doubt sanding the floor down and refinishing would make it look better in my case :(

On a positive note though, All three bedrooms (and maybe even the kitchen) have real hardwood floors that could benefit from a project like this. If my kitchen has hardwood under there, I would love nothing better than to rip out the girly flower laminate. I doubt it - it's a kitchen - but you never know.

GREAT work. :)

I can't believe what good condition the floors are in! The look of the wood that the floors were made of back in the day just can't be beat. The rich golden color of the old wood just doesn't exist anymore. I can't wait to see the floors when you are done with them.

Do you know what kind of finish you are going to use on them after the sanding?

If the corner sander keeps clogging you can try to find sandpaper like the stuff that is used to sand drywall, it looks like window screen covered with grit. Or try using a very coarse sand paper to get through the finish and then switch to a finer grit to smooth the wood. If all else fails you could use a chemical stripper to remove the finish before you sand.

Wow, the floors are beautiful.

When we put in the hard wood floors here and then at the floors at my brother's house we used the water based poly finish. Its easy, no smell or fumes and its ready to scuff up and put another coat with-in 24 hours. Now that its winter and the air is dry I think that if you were to crank the heat a little warmer than normal it would dry even faster.

you feeling alright jay?
a little jet lag?
hehe
the floor is done, and it was done with water based poly.
each coat was ready to sand in 2 hours.
cant wait to get on to the next room.

That is what I did when refinishing the baby's room floor. I used a chemical stripper first in the areas the sander would not reach.

i scraped the areas i couldnt reach and then used a hand held belt sander to finish it off.

awesome job! My girl friend wants a wood floor put into the bedroom but not sure if the snap crap is worth it or just go real.

awesome job! My girl friend wants a wood floor put into the bedroom but not sure if the snap crap is worth it or just go real.

it all depends.
i put a laminate wood floor in my office.
it went down quick, it was cheap, and it looks decent.
it cant be repaired if damaged though.
but i also was limited in that i didnt want to put a full thickness hardwood down to avoid large transitions between rooms.

it all depends.
i put a laminate wood floor in my office.
it went down quick, it was cheap, and it looks decent.
it cant be repaired if damaged though.
but i also was limited in that i didnt want to put a full thickness hardwood down to avoid large transitions between rooms.

Yeah, the price on that stuff is nice, guess you have to put that matting down as well... I did do the finish in the hallway with stain and water based sealer, and was suprised how it came out.

Back