• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How much did your nitrous system cost?

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
I'm trying to decide which way to go with my FI plans. How much did your nitrous system cost? That includes all of the extra goodies...remote opener, bottle blanket, purge, etc.

I'm not looking for how much your buddy gave it to you used. I want to know how much it would cost if I went to Summit and had to buy everything new.

Over $1k?
$800-900?
Less?
More?

Thanks,
Ben

I want to know how much it would cost if I went to Summit and had to buy everything new.

I don't want to come off as an ass, but did you go to the Summit website yet? :shrug: Also, do you have any particular brand you are partial to, or would like to stick with? Do you want everything in the same brand, or are you open for mixing it up? ZEX has a pretty affordable basic kit that you can pickup on Ebay for roughly $500, and they have upgrade kits as well that run a few hundred on top of that. I think Starjammir bought both of these kits off of Ebay, so he might chime in.

Mark

I just wanted to see what kind of systems that people are running and for how much. I did a quick search and it looks like a single nozzle wet kit was in the $500 range. I don't care if brands are mixed.

I was leaning towards one of the NOS "Nosszle" systems. Just becasue of my supercharger manifold. It would be way too easy for fuel to puddle in there. A single nozzle would also be difficult to do because of the size/volume of the manifold.

Thanks,
Ben

I don't want to come off as an ass, but did you go to the Summit website yet? :shrug: Also, do you have any particular brand you are partial to, or would like to stick with? Do you want everything in the same brand, or are you open for mixing it up? ZEX has a pretty affordable basic kit that you can pickup on Ebay for roughly $500, and they have upgrade kits as well that run a few hundred on top of that. I think Starjammir bought both of these kits off of Ebay, so he might chime in.

Mark

Correct you are Mark...well to an extent. I got the zex wet kit for about 350 off of ebay (opened but not used) and got the extra stuff (blow down tube, warmer, purge, and pressure gauge) for xmas from someone :D I think the upgrade kit was 250 or something but is cheaper than buying everything separate. All I have to get now is my bottle opener and find out how to get my pressure gauge so I can read it from the drivers seat without running lines to the front.
Ben- I believe (from what I have read online) that Zex is the safest kit you can buy. I believe you want to get a wet kit if you have a SCer.
If you need any nitrous help with install or anything lemme know. I may be able to give ya some advice.
Bill

Venom FTW :D. Reatil on the VCN 2000 is crazy but if I had to pay it I wouldn't complain it's an awesome system. But Mark gave me a killer deal on the system and I couldn't say "No".

Aaron

nx stage1 kit 550$ to my door
zex purge 150$
zex bottle heater 150$
pressure guage 40$
fuel press. guage and fittings 35$

MSD ignition 375$
9mm ford plug wires 35$
TR5 and TR6 plugs 24$ (2 sets)

That wouldn't work on my Zetec. ;) :laugh:

Well after looking it over, I'd really need to go with the Noszle system. There just isn't enough room to make a normal single-nozzle work. (The output of the intercooler will have a bend right by the intake manifold.) I'd be worried about it mixing well enough.

I think I may just go with a twin-charge setup. It would cost about the same, I'd have more than enough power to blow up my engine, and I'd never have to worry about running out of nitrous.

Thanks again for everyone's input. :)

from where.....

the internets!

do some searching. I don't knwo about where you live, but around tampa somebody is always selling a nitrous kit cheap. I got mine dirt cheap, brand new.

The window electronic MSD window switch only cost me $100 at a local tuner shop.

Save up and get Tom and burritas turbo kit. Having done the nitrous thing.. its ok. Def wish i had a turbo tho.

boost is sweet. but its not easy to deal with like a nitrous kit. you could have a nitrous kit together and working perfectly without a tune (as long as you follow the jetting chart) in an afternoon and in the short run it costs at least half as much. but yeah boost is better, and you can still add juice on top of it if you have a good enough setup.

boost is sweet. but its not easy to deal with like a nitrous kit. you could have a nitrous kit together and working perfectly without a tune (as long as you follow the jetting chart) in an afternoon and in the short run it costs at least half as much. but yeah boost is better, and you can still add juice on top of it if you have a good enough setup.

Yea, a turbo is a little more as far as installation time.

BUT...
Even with nitrous you should have a tune for it. Of course it's not really needed for a 50 shot, but when you start jetting up to a 75, 100, 125 shot you should adjust your timing.
Also, another thing to consider is, although nitrous costs less initially, in the long run it will cost more than a turbo kit. Why? If you use nitrous often, your going to be refilling and paying all the time.
Finally, a turbo is also a bit nicer because the power is always there (once it's spooled up) so you always have the power, where as with nitrous, you only have that extra power when you have that button pushed/switch flipped. That can be taken as a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it.

BUT...
Even with nitrous you should have a tune for it. Of course it's not really needed for a 50 shot, but when you start jetting up to a 75, 100, 125 shot you should adjust your timing.
Also, another thing to consider is, although nitrous costs less initially, in the long run it will cost more than a turbo kit. Why? If you use nitrous often, your going to be refilling and paying all the time.
Finally, a turbo is also a bit nicer because the power is always there (once it's spooled up) so you always have the power, where as with nitrous, you only have that extra power when you have that button pushed/switch flipped. That can be taken as a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it.

Exact same reason why if anyone wants to do any kind of mod on the contour (supercharger or Nitrous) they are way better off getting the New Tom/Burrita turbo kit.

BUT...

yeah. thanks for the info here, but your preachin' to the choir here on that one :) i have fuel and timing adjusted for the nitrous. but you can run up to a 75 shot without a timing retard (per the "standard" info from nitrous system manufacturers)

in the end it's all preference. in my mind, however; i think of nitrous as a second option for forced induction. the real big dogs are running boost and nitrous, at the 1/4 mile. the only downfall about a nitrous kit in my mind is the gas goes up in price every year. if i could get my hands on an old vortech, i would run that plus the nitrous, which is ideal in my mind. i'm not a turbo fan myself.......

yeah. thanks for the info here, but your preachin' to the choir here on that one :) i have fuel and timing adjusted for the nitrous. but you can run up to a 75 shot without a timing retard (per the "standard" info from nitrous system manufacturers)

in the end it's all preference. in my mind, however; i think of nitrous as a second option for forced induction. the real big dogs are running boost and nitrous, at the 1/4 mile. the only downfall about a nitrous kit in my mind is the gas goes up in price every year. if i could get my hands on an old vortech, i would run that plus the nitrous, which is ideal in my mind. i'm not a turbo fan myself.......

Why? cause they make more power, more torque, are more useable, sound better and are easier to install?

Why? cause they make more power, more torque, are more useable, sound better and are easier to install?

I would say a S/C is more usable and drivable then a turbo. Sure the Tubro can get you more power and torque but having been in both a S/C and a Turbo CSVT I enjoyed being in the S/C SVT. Would I rock a turbo SVT hell yeah but if I had a choice I would rather a S/C.

Aaron

The jetting chart from THIS post???

but you can run up to a 75 shot without a timing retard (per the "standard" info from nitrous system manufacturers)

According to ZEX:

________________55hp__65hp___75hp
Nitrous Jet:...........32.......35.......38
Fuel Jet:...............36.......34.......32
IGNITION RETARD:..0*.......2*.......4*

Of course I'm sure other manufacturers have different opinions. But I wouldn't call it standard to not adjust your timing for a 75 shot.

I would say a S/C is more usable and drivable then a turbo. Sure the Tubro can get you more power and torque but having been in both a S/C and a Turbo CSVT I enjoyed being in the S/C SVT. Would I rock a turbo SVT hell yeah but if I had a choice I would rather a S/C.

Aaron

The contour dosent have the capabilites to put the power down in the lower RPM range. The SC will be always running, a problem the Turbo dosent have so you get better economy and its easier to drive on a daily basis.

Either way your running a boosted contour so you rule in my book.

Back