• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No dome light when drivers door open

amsra

New CEG'er
I recently got a '96 bare bones 2.5L GL for my daughter. The interior lights/dome light comes on when the passenger door is opened, but doesn't work when the drivers door is opened. I've played around with the switch in the door to no avail. Does the switch in the door frame need to be replaced and how do you access it?

Also the interior trunk release will not open the trunk. I can hear a click in the trunk when the lever is pulled, but will not release the trunk. Any thoughts on this one?

Last edited:
" Does the switch in the door frame need to be replaced and how do you access it?"
Sometimes, during the cold winter, the switch does not work too well. Try pushing in and out a few times. If not, then you may have to take it out, clean it up and grease the contacts with electrical grease.

"Also the interior trunk release will not open the trunk. I can hear a click in the trunk when the lever is pulled, but will not release the trunk. Any thoughts on this one?"
Same here in regards to the winter. When you pull the lever, the trunk is actually released. It just does not "pop up". The next time you pull the lever, go around and open the trunk by lifting it after that.

thing about the trunk is, I believe the strut of course weaken over time and the trunk will not release from the latch, this was happening to me over the summer I had to use the key and pull at the same time. get the trunk poping spring and it will work again, it pops it just enough to get is released from the lock ...

Is the little safety latch switched in the trunk? If it is one position you can not open it from inside. If someone were to break into a car they couldn't pull it up and gain access to the trunk. I know I have mine so it only works with a key or the key fob.

realslimshaver & todras hit on the trunk deal. The orange switch was in the wrong position to operate the release from within the car.

The door switch for the light moves in and out okay, but no dome light, headlight warning or key in the ignition warning (if this model has those two options). I wish people would leave owners manuals in cars when they trade them in. I'll have to take the switch out and see if I can bypass it to see if the switch is bad.

realslimshaver & todras hit on the trunk deal. The orange switch was in the wrong position to operate the release from within the car.

The door switch for the light moves in and out okay, but no dome light, headlight warning or key in the ignition warning (if this model has those two options). I wish people would leave owners manuals in cars when they trade them in. I'll have to take the switch out and see if I can bypass it to see if the switch is bad.

If that's the case then you probably just need a new switch. Like $15 or so brand new, or hit up a junkyard for an even cheaper solution. (Remove one from the rear doors since they get less use.)

Thanks for the help. I took the switch out and it was not connected to anything! Once I fished the connector out and attached it to the switch everything works.

Sorry to hijack, but on a 2000 SVT, should the dome lights come on when any other door besdies the drivers is opened? They only come on with the drivers door opened.

Tony-- Thanks for the link on the owners manual. In this case your signature is absolutely true. I did the cheapest and easiest things first. I now have a trunk that opens from the interior and all my interior lights work. Total cost--zero! Help from GEGers--Priceless!

... I did the cheapest and easiest things first. I now have a trunk that opens from the interior and all my interior lights work. Total cost--zero! Help from GEGers--Priceless!

Total cost--zero! Help from GEGers--Priceless!:cool:

Don't forget; for everything else, there's Mastercard. :laugh:

Back