• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

speedo with tach from a zetec tour 98

the gauge cluster should work no problem. im not sure on the fog lights but i believe they changed from the pre-98 to post -98 models.

You may have to run a tach wire like I did. Look in the old forums for posts by Hector (LocoZ, LocoEVOwhatever). He posted some details about the tach wire that helped me with my install.

Guess it depends on the year. My cluster didnt need any other wire, I just plugged it in.

My new cluster came off a 99 by the way.

The model year of the cluster will not matter. Was your car wired for the tach is the question. My '99 was not. The only potential problem is that I saw mension of a '95 and '99. The '95 may have a cable driven speedo, so you cannot use the cluster from one of those to add a tach to your '99.

Most of the 98 and older cars appear to have been equipped with the tach signal wire even if you didn't have a tach. It appears at least a few of the '99s had the wire installed, but I was not lucky enough to get one of those.

Last edited:
OK... For those just reading. I have a 98 Zetec that only came with a speedo in the gauge cluster. I picked up gauge cluster with a tach from a junkyard. I put it in the a speedo / odometer was way off !!!!
It was suggested that I get a different speedo, so I did.
But it is still way off. When I am doing about 50mph it is pegged past 130mph. The odometer is equally off.
Could this be a voltage problem.

Also, the low gas light is on, even though there is about 3/4 of a tank in the car. The gauge reads right, but the light won't go off.

Please help... Any ideas???

They all look the same but there are a bunch of part numbers for the speedometer. The same year car has different ones depending on your production date. I got one from junk yard and made sure the speedometer was the one for my production date and everything worked fine.

The '95 may have a cable driven speedo, so you cannot use the cluster from one of those to add a tach to your '99.

Only the early '95 (made in '94), mine is not cable driven. You can tell if its cable driven if the last digit in the odometer (12345.X<--this one as X) is yellow in color.

I'd say stick to model years between 95-97 and 98-00. If your car is say a '97 tour(pre-98 design) grab a guage cluster from the same design years.

I also believe all mystiques had tachs, not 100% sure though, but those should bolt on w/ no problem.

Look on the door for a production date. Here are the listings for a 1998.

(head only), KPH, 2.0L, w/tach, AT, thru 1/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; AT, w/tach, thru 1/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; MT; (tach); thru 1/98
(head only), MPH, 2.5L, SVT, thru 1/98
(head only), MPH, 2.0L, w/tach, AT, from 2/98
(head only), MPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; from 2/98
(head only), MPH, 2.0L, w/tach, AT, thru 1/98
(head only), MPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; thru 1/98
(head only), MPH, 2.5L, SVT, from 2/98
(head only), MPH, 2.0L, w/o tach; AT, thru 1/98
(head only), MPH, 2.0L, w/o tach; AT, from 2/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, SVT, from 2/98
(head only), KPH, 2.0L, w/tach, AT, from 2/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; AT, w/tach, from 2/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; MT; (tach); from 2/98
(head only), KPH, 2.0L, w/o tach; AT, thru 1/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; AT, w/o tach; thru 1/98
(head only), KPH, 2.0L, w/o tach; AT, from 2/98
(head only), KPH, 2.5L, exc. SVT; AT, w/o tach; from 2/98
(head only), MPH, 2.0L, w/tach, MT
(head only), MPH, 2.0L, w/o tach; MT
(head only), KPH, 2.0L, w/tach, MT
(head only), KPH, 2.0L, w/o tach; MT

you need to do exactly what i told you to do in the other post which is to use your orginial speedometer. you have to take the face off the "new" speedo and put it on your "old" speedo. you then have to go for a drive (or several) and do some calculations to calibrate the needle.

Last edited:
Looks like to me it would just be easier to get the right speedometer for your production date that matches your trans and motor.

the only difference is the size of the face. you have to remove the face off your "new" one and install it on the "old". Then put what is now your old speedo with the new face into the cluster. Next you have to make sure the needle is pointing to the right speed. to do this you can either take a GPS unit, or pen, paper, and a calculator. Set the cruise control and calculate your actual speed based on seconds per mile. if the road is longenough you can then simply put the needle on while still driving. dont push the needle too far down or it will get stuck against the face.

this is how i did it with mine and it works perfect.
any other questions on it?

I get what you are saying, but the old large speedo has an extension of the flexible circuit board connected to it by "ribbon cable" going into the back it, where as the smaller one does not.

The smaller gauge connects to the housing / circuit board with metal spikes. The large one connects with the "ribbon cable" metioned above.

Last edited:
i have never seen one with a ribbon cable style connection. everyone i have seen is the three post design.

can you disconnect the ribbon to remove the speedo from the cluster? if so then i would suggest trying to find one that also uses the ribbon style connection try again.

Last edited:
Back