• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

High Idle??

kw27

New CEG'er
I just swapped the engine in my 2000 tour. It is the 2.5. When I start it, it will rev to like 2300 rpm for a few seconds and then come back down where it should be. Any ideas. I really don't want to get a really high rev on a cold start. I was thinking the idle air control, but not sure. I have no check engine light and no rough run. Any idea???

Thanks in advance!!

I have checked the throttle and the butterfly opens and closes correctly, doesn't seem to hang , that is why I was thinking the IAC. Didn't know if it was a common issue with them??

My new fusion does the same thing (it's got the 3L duratec) and the mechanic told me that as long as it's only idling high for a couple of seconds it's normal, he then went on to explain that it's to heat up the engine and to get all the fluids going as well as to combat engine inefficiences at start up that would cause it to stall. So as long as it only does it for a couple then goes normal and doesn't high idle during normal driving it should be good. More people should post if this is not correct for 2.5 tours, but like I said it's supposed to be normal for newer cars in general.

Yeh, I knew that on some of the newer stuff, that it would idle up at first and come back down, but I am concerned because it is reving over 2000 rpm. I might swap out the IAC and see what happens. I have a good used one from a parts car!!

Yeh, I knew that on some of the newer stuff, that it would idle up at first and come back down, but I am concerned because it is reving over 2000 rpm. I might swap out the IAC and see what happens. I have a good used one from a parts car!!

as long as it has under 60K miles on it then it should be useable.

oh ya if your throttle cable is routed differently then it is from factory, it could cause throttle hang (routing it via a different path could cause it to pull the cable slightly, causing throttle to open up just a little to much).

Thats exactly what mine does. And I have changed my IAC, for different reasons, and it made no difference. That is just the way its supposed to run, I think.

I changed the IAC and mad no change, I sprayed carb cleaner all around my intake and around the throttle body and such and no change in my idle, so I don't think I have a leak??? I am going to a buddies house and see how his tour does on start up?? Maybe I am being crazy!!!

Yes, you could be crazy! :) But on a serious note, did you replace the IAC gasket when you swapped the good IAC onto your UIM?!?!

I sure did, I just went ahead and bought a new IAC and it came with a new gasket!! And again, I could be crazy!! :crazy:

I sure did, I just went ahead and bought a new IAC and it came with a new gasket!! And again, I could be crazy!! :crazy:

Where did you buy the IAC from!?!?! I would only go to the dealer for that part! I was stupid and bought the cheap one from autozone. :mad:

Also re-check your throttle cable. It could be binding a bit & preventing the butterfly valve from fully closing (doesn't take much, the opening could be nearly imperceptable). That could give a high initial idle & when the PCM detects the problem, the IAC valve is closed down to compensate.

Back