• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gutless, low power 98 Contour.

Eric2.0

CEG'er
I have a 98 Contour GL 4CL automatic that is very frustrating to drive, it has 92,000 miles.

Problem is very low power output and I despise it when I have to climb hills and passing power is pathetic and dangerous. Example... I have to get a 70 MPH run when I have to climb even just a medium grade, but long incline. By the time I reach the middle of the hill I'm down to 35MPH and putting the pedal down does nothing but make me worry about hurting the transmission. In the meantime I have to pull over to the side to let others that are on my butt, by.

Engine runs smooth, seems to shift ok, seems to be in the right gear, doesn't buck or anything like tranny slips or anything...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

My 99 Mercury mystique acted the same way, but I thought it was due to the high milege....seems to be a trait with these cars?

Thanks for any ideas.

Eric2.0

Crystal ball is broken, I would take it to a shop and have them check the electronics and exhaust for restrictions. If this is an automatic they need to check fluid and sensors.

Not really normal, had one before and it was a fun car ( but mine was a manual trans ).

These engines do carbon up very easily, and lack power when they do that. Try decarbonizing the engine and see what it does. Also check plugs and wires.

I have two at 150K and one at 200K and all will still easily run 80 mph when asked to and higher if wanted. All zetec fours. No decarbonizing done ever, I loathe using like seafoam or other in motors, all it does is take your hard earned cash. The only thing decarbonizing will do is let the engine run a bit smoother, it does not affect overall power virtually at all. In fact being slightly TOO clean will act up a bit until the engine carbon coats a bit, all drag racers know about that.

If you just can't recognize jumped cam timing, that can do it, I've seen them jumped and run fine till 40-50 then nothing after that like flipping a switch.

Compression check for basic motor condition and cat check for clogging.

These engines do carbon up very easily, and lack power when they do that. Try decarbonizing the engine and see what it does. Also check plugs and wires.

What is your evidence of this? If it was a Duratec I might agree, but this car has a Zetec.

I would say that there is a restriction in the exhaust or something else is going on. But a Zetec should not act like this.

What is your evidence of this? If it was a Duratec I might agree, but this car has a Zetec.

I would say that there is a restriction in the exhaust or something else is going on. But a Zetec should not act like this.

I have seen several Zetec engines that carbon up very easily. This is a major root cause to the cats plugging up, and other drivability issues (the shop I am involved with is certified by the state to repair emission and related equipment), which the shop has seen quite a bit of in the past 10-15 years. I suggested decarbonizing the engine first, to see if that makes things better. Usually, that does work. Simple stuff before more complex issues first. Looking at it in a linear method of diagnostic procedures is better than assuming the exhaust is plugged. Looking at fuel delivery should be the second issue. Next look at airflow issues, vacuum leaks and intake restrictions (which are related to carbon buildup).

The only reason they would carbon up is by being out of tune and left that way long periods, or running rich. In normal tune a zetec runs so clean you will find very little carbon in the cat. The EGR pretty much runs carbon free as well.

And why no need of 'decarbonizing', if the engines are on the emission spec there is no need for it. Pull the head, if engine has been kept in tune there is virtually no carbon even on piston tops or in chambers. Not at least the 1/8" thick stuff you used to find in carb engines. Very little to remove there. Now of course that does not cover abused engines at all.

Im going to try and test the catyic converter by methods on youtube....The exhaust smells bad....like it's running rich or something.... I already put plugs and wires on it last month

If you smell the rotten egg smell then yes, too rich for some reason. You will be melting and plugging the cat matrix in short order like that. I would be looking for your possible fuel issue.............

I would like to see the LTFT and STFT readings. STFT should flip between -5 and +5. LTFT should be about 0-+5. If the fuel trims are beyond this, it would tell me more.

Back