• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking at a 98 SVT, Need Some Opinions

98 Contour

CEG'er
Hi All,
Very recently, a 98 E0 SVT came up for sale at a local used car lot. It's black with MNB interior, 151,xxx miles on what appears to be the original 2.5 engine. I have some crappy cell phone pics I can post, but in the meantime, here's what I'm looking at:

PROS:
- Motor runs strong, no ticks/knocks, pulls hard to redline
- NO CELs, and from what I could see the harness looks OK
- Suspension feels good, handles the road pretty well, no noises coming from underneath
- No gear grind, shifts pretty smoothly
- Almost-new Pirelli tires
- Only minor surface rust underneath, rockers look to have been repaired at some point
- All power windows/locks/seat work well, even the sunroof
- Original window sticker was left with the owners manual

CONS:
- Body is pretty beat, paint is faded, left front fender was replaced and spray bombed black and will need to be replaced. No major dents, but some scratches and swirls in the paint
- Interior is in fair shape, no tears in the leather, but pretty dirty
- E0 wheels are missing all 4 center caps, and one is sprayed white
- No jack point covers
- Missing driver side sideskirt
- No fog lights
- No mesh

I talked with the owner of the lot, and he said he was thinking of putting it out for between $1500-$1700, depending on what it would need for state inspection. Does this sound like a fair price range? The good thing is that I have almost all of the parts it would need to make this car look better...

What say you guys?

Better to make him an off as is before he puts or supposedly puts $$ into. Usually if they can make a quick buck without having to touch the car they will take a low offer. Now this doesn't help you unless your capable to replace the parts that it needs for inspection on your own.

Better to make him an off as is before he puts or supposedly puts $$ into. Usually if they can make a quick buck without having to touch the car they will take a low offer. Now this doesn't help you unless your capable to replace the parts that it needs for inspection on your own.
Good idea... from what I could see, it might just need e-brake cables, but that was all I could really tell from looking at it on the lot. i could definitely take care of any repair it might need, so I may go this route...

Well, got a call back from the dealer last night, they went ahead and inspected it and now have it listed for $1800 plus tax/tags. So it looks like I'll be passing on this one. Thank you solo and satya for your input!

Back