• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

foghorn moan when cold

00ghostse

New CEG'er
my 00 contour v6 with auto trans makes a low moan noise that sounds like a foghorn when i put my foot on the brakes . the car only makes the noise when its cold or first started each day. i searched the forums and was unable to find anything similar . can anyone help? thank you

The copper cap cured the moosing on my old 98 2.5 ATX back in the day.

However, the 00 uses different plumbing on the air intake and my 00 hasn't had either moosing or TH issues.

Where do i find such updated hoses? I did the throttle hang fix but its not helping 100% plus i get Cat conv codes now.

If you used a copper cap to fix your moosing, start over. Take the cap out and replace the IAC. IAC = moosing. Copper cap = throttle hang.

SOMETIMES you can take off the IACV and hose it down inside with brakleen or carb cleaner and get it working again.

The bottom line is that most likely the plunger inside the IACV isn't sealing correctly because it's gunked up with oil residue from the crankcase vents. So it either isn't OPENING far enough, or it isn't closing entirely. So that's a free troubleshooting step to try that won't hurt anything if you're wrong.

Otherwise the IACV is just malfunctioning in general, in which case it will need to be replaced.

SOMETIMES you can take off the IACV and hose it down inside with brakleen or carb cleaner and get it working again.

^ this :cool:

It just might work out and its pretty much free to try. Always a good way to start.

Back