• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thermostat replacement warning! Does your CSVT run a little warm? Can't figure it out?

svtlover

CEG'er
This isn't a "how to" R&R the thermostat; it's a "what not to do". DO NOT buy an aftermarket thermostat! Get the Ford part, even though it costs more. I learned this the hard way after my tech pulled every last root of his hair out (not to mention my own frustration) trying to figure out a slight overheating problem. If your temp gauge just won't stay "in the middle", make sure your thermostat was never replaced with an aftermarket unit. It may not be your radiator or a flow problem. The Ford thermostat has a hollow tube with holes in it. The aftermarket one we found did not. Long story short, the aftermarket design is not hollow and will not work right with the return-line system that Ford built. They cut the flow too much, which causes the car to run warm. Hope this helps someone out there.

While I don't doubt this is possible, how was the slight overheating determined? What where the coolant temperatures running at? Is this with a 3L? Its possible that the slightly higher temp is because the engine is producing more heat .... are you sure you have a SVT radiator?

With a "stock" thermostat, which had a temperature of 190 degrees, the temperature should range from 190 to ~212 degrees. This is when the low speed fan should kick on.

Also I think it has been seen that as the temp sensor gets older it can cause the reading of the gauge to change. Do remember that the temp gauge is just an indicator, it doesn't report specific temperatures.

Last edited:
Back