• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Source for Vehicle Speed Sensor / VSS for 95 Mystique (4 cyl , Automatic)

jgump

New CEG'er
Does anyone have a source for the Vehicle Speed Sensor on a 4 cylinder, automatic 1995 Mystique?

My mother's trans guy says hers is leaking and it is no longer made.

Thanks

Jeff

Stick with a OEM Ford or Motorcraft one if you can. They are pretty cheap. Good luck.

Is this part the same for all years using the CD4E trans? Thanks!

That part is for the early 95's with a mechanical speedometer. Late 95 and 96 and later are electronic speedo and don't have a cable at all.

Is there a thread to ID the early 95 cars? I do not have access to the car, since it is at the shop. Thanks!

Is there a thread to ID the early 95 cars? I do not have access to the car, since it is at the shop. Thanks!

Not really. The date on the door sticker should be a fall 1994 date. Otherwise look for the speedo cable. Also the odometer has the tenths in the trip meter in yellow, iirc.

I assume this is why the Ford Parts site lists the speed sensor part number given above as after 2-1-95?

Thanks,

Gents, that for all the info. Our mechanical is getting all his info from the local Ford dealer :crazy:. I go to the people who know. Also, he originally was given the cable, then realized he needed the sensor instead.

The dealer is telling him that the part number needed is F5RZ-9E731-CB or CC perhaps, and it has been discontinue. Now he is searching junk yards.

In the prior response there is an ebay link to a NOS, F5RZ-9E731-G. Also, teamfordparts.com has a -AC type in stock. fordparts.com has a part listed as 9E731(DY936). Is it safe to assume these are all versions of the same part?

I wish I had the car in my possesion, so I could fix it my self. LOL. Thanks again for all the help

If merely leaking and not cracked housing you may be able to cobble up o-ring(s) for maybe couple of bucks to fix, BTDT on others before.

Bump. Can someone confirm my thoughts on the various part numbers? Thanks.

I'm going to call the mechanic tomorrow. My mother says he is found a used trans 50 miles away with the sensor he needs, which is crazy. I was hoping this would be sorted out by now....

Please confirm the following:
-4 cylinder manual and automatics use the same sensor. Yes or No.
-1/95 cars and before use Motorcraft number DY-938, in which the speedometer cable screws into the "pass through" on the back of the sensor. This is the one in the Ebay link above.
-2/95 cars and after use Motorcraft number DY-936, which has no connector for the speedometer cable. It is just a sensor with a wire pigtail with connector.

Thanks

I can not conform that either the atx or mtx use the same sensor.

however the change at the cut off date is correct.

Thanks. I wentered with the one from the eBay seller. Great guy to deal with. It will be here today. Her car was built in 94.

The old style ebay one worked. Leak is fixed. It was leaking out of the top apparently.

However, the TRS apparently went as well and the car was shifting all over the place. Replaced the TRS and all is well for now... Thanks!

Back