• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

curious about lsd availability

Devilsword

New CEG'er
Well recently i scored a new transmission from a former member for my 2000 svt here close to my house for a sweet deal. he said he was having the common 2nd through 3rd grind which didn't matter to me anyways because i plan to have it rebuilt. speaking of which my local builder find no problem with the forks or synchros (though hes going to dig deeper before he shot peens and polishes everything) but the diff gears are on the way out. he told me he can get replacement gears if its completely necessary but i am curious what the availability or torsens and lsds. I have read that some have gone out of production or prices have sky rocketed due to lack of supply. i would love to get my hands on a 98 diff but realize that could also be a little difficult. i was reading the terry haynes FAQs so just trying to get a peek at what i am getting into, and whats available before going stock routes.

lsd arnt very hard to find. the quaife is about $1000. and if you find a torsen which got discontinued about a year or two ago, they are about 500-800.

i do have a pre-98 diff for sale as well. its in excellent condition if your interested

It's going to look and perform similarly to the Quaife and Torsen. It's a respectable company and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I'd snatch one up if I didn't already have a Quaife.

If you call Torsen, they will tell you they have the T-2 LSD in stock..... FYI

It's going to look and perform similarly to the Quaife and Torsen. It's a respectable company and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I'd snatch one up if I didn't already have a Quaife.

Except for the torsen and quaife are different type of "lsd's". They perform differently, generally speaking they do the same thing by putting more power through the outsidewheel

thanks for the help the mfactory one might be my best chocie if this deal for a 98 falls through. honestly i am trying my hardest to keep the car rather pure and only replace things as needed or fix slop. the last thing i need is another race car and i think a torsen would get me racing it. which prepping my SMF hillclimb car and the wife B Stock veloster turbo keeps me busy. currently i am just going to replace the slave and play the rest by ear. the clutch should be new which its install was what lead to my bad tranny. if it does need a swap i will most likely shave the stock fly to minimum specs( anyone running a rather light stock fly?) and going to a spec 2 kevlar clutch even though i have seen you guys have had problems with spec in the past. if you think using spec is a dire situation do you have another recommendation? the former owner of this car went to huge lengths to buy NOS or new ford parts when fixing things so i am sure the one in there is a motorcraft model. also planing to slide in a Energy Suspension 4.1107 Motor Mount Inserts instead of replacing the dampener. Anything else you guys can think of that would be worthwhile doing while the transmission is out?

I polyfilled the rear roll restrictor too. I did it the cheap hardware store way. Tube of urethane caulk. FIlled the round holes and the larger spaces in the middle between the outside moldings. Takes about a week to completely cure though.

One tube of caulk can do two of them. Still have one on the shelf all prepped.

I polyfilled the rear roll restrictor too. I did it the cheap hardware store way. Tube of urethane caulk. FIlled the round holes and the larger spaces in the middle between the outside moldings. Takes about a week to completely cure though.

One tube of caulk can do two of them. Still have one on the shelf all prepped.

Hahahaha, I never thought about doing that but I guess it could work! LOL

Back