• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my rig

aboythatskates

Hard-core CEG'er
been here for a while. i most almost everything on NECO, so ill give you guys the short version. lol. ive been through a lot, and neco has the evidence. lol. lots of help from those guys! great community.

i have a 1999 cougar, ive been building it for 4 years, until i totalled it into a ditch at 70 last december. so i decided to buy a shell and swap all my parts over plus more. basically my brand new coilovers were completly shot. i had probably less then 300 miles on them, so i basically had to buy all my suspension components twice.

i decided to put a shiz ton more money into it since im swapping everything to my new shell so heres my current mods list. the new cougar is also the same exact color as the old which was freakin hard to find! and it was also and early return style!

Engine Setup:

- 2004 3.0L taurus engine
- Full oval port swap

Performance Mods:

- complete motor and head rebuild
- PNP heads
- st220 intake manifolds and custom spacer
- #32 injectors
- MSDS Headers
- 2.5" Magnaflow Exhaust (had custom true dual exhaust half made but decided to run single til i get more money to legitly finish the dual)
- 65mm tb
- msds y-pipe ( my true dual setup doesnt have a y pipe,i just welded the damn thing)
- new autolite plugs
- new motorcraft plug wires
- PRT Powersteering delete

Cooling Mods:

- stock radiator and cooling system

Transaxle Mods:

- clutchnet stage 3 disc and PP
- spec 9lb flywheel
- torsen
- 3.8 FD
-rebuilt trans

Suspension mods:

- TZT front endlinks
- front poly swap bar bushings
- koni and spax strut
- ground control coils with technotoy tuning pillow ball mounts
- PRT camber plate conversion
- PRT solid subframe bushings

Tuning Mods:

- #32 injectors (almost maxing out the #24s on stock 3L)
- livewire
- i dyno tuned it myself, twice now on mustang dyno

Brake mods:
- hawk pads
- EBC GD series rotors
- dot 4 fluid

Other mods:
half the rest of the car was rebuild, like new axles, wheel bearings, new rack and pinion, outer tire rod ends, and other stuff, too much to list, basically the only thing left stock is the rear subframe

old numbers 199hp 195tq

last years dyno tuning numbers
221hp and 223tq

between the last tune and this years, i have rebuilt the motor, PNP heads, st220 intake manifolds and spacer made, injectors from #24 to #32, and made my custom true dual exhaust.

the tune isnt 100%, and its not even at 60% but the car put down 236 whp so far, but i hate how it runs, so i cant wait to put it on the dyno again, hoping for 240+

and here are pics

the stance

old bay

new build

my dualzz
10349094_786428121420375_6552839356923671549_n.jpg

new bay

Those are really good number man. Total sleeper too! That is quite a bit higher than average, so what do you attribute your success to?

honestly i think alot has to do with exhaust. i did some calculations, and for the power im putting down my exhaust is capable of slightly higher power, which is excellent because that means its not restrictive. even though my 236 was with my dual exhaust but it honestly felt more "loud" then powerful, like most hondas. lol. also its practically a straight pipe because of the straight through muffler, with the cat as an exception.

if you wanna calculate exhaust size for the next project: 250 cfms are needed about for ever 100hp. every square in of exhaust flows 115 cfm. and you can do the math from there.

another thing was tuning. yes most tuners out there are better than me (or all. lol), but they get it "safe", "reliable", and "drivable" and your done. when i get on the dyno i tune to max, i experiment a bit, which is what your suppose to do, and pick the best tune table numbers. they know what most n/a's are safe at, and they plug that in.

i also havent really cheaped out on any part of the car except intake maybe. might wanna try a cold air, or one with a bigger tube. but i think i can hit the 240+ with a bit more tuning. at least i hope. if i dont then ill be a bit disapionted.

but hey! thanks for the compliment too!

With all of that being said, I don't think many people here cheap out on parts, as there aren't a lot of options in the first place. But, congrats either way!

With all of that being said, I don't think many people here cheap out on parts, as there aren't a lot of options in the first place. But, congrats either way!

actually yeah. now that i think about it. i dont know why i even said that. my bad ceggers.lol. i think i was just thinking in general for people who mods cars, well at least in my town theyre mostly ghetto.lol

and thanks contourmike.

Hmm that exhaust looks familiar. I believe it does account for higher numbers, look forward to seeing final results.

How do you like driving that car with no power steering? The steering ratio isn't very good for that sort of thing.

exhaust might look familiar but i built it according to my own design. not sure if theres anything else out there.

as for about the powersteering: its honestly one of the disappointed things im in. do i regret it? maybe because i daily it so much, but its not that much of a pain in the ass. i can feel alot more bump steer with larger holes while turning, i think it might be because im at max positive caster. im thinking of going as far towards negative as i can, i think i will play a pretty big roll with steering feel.

Very nice man! Looks good. Looks like the hard work paid off. ALways wondered why many more didn't go the true dual exhaust route. The only reason i'm not rockn one is cuz of my turbo.

well i think i mentioned this before, but i did put my single exhaust back on. the dual was beyond loud and raspy like a mofo. i will probably end up finishing the tune on the single, so i will actually see if i lost or gained from going dual to single. honestly it feels faster.

also the 2" duals are wayy too big for our 3.0. 1.75" each would be closer to perfect. but its almost impossible to find any mufflers with 1.75" inlet/outlet

Im not too worried about heat soak during tuning, theres a ton of fans.and the iat is only 10 degrees above ambient while driving

it probably would a little bit. But like I said while driving it's only a little bit warmer than the air outside.and as for hating the way it drives. I was talkingabout the power steering delete

it probably would a little bit. But like I said while driving it's only a little bit warmer than the air outside.....

Fair enough. I was considering slightly cooler IAT's providing a slightly denser charge and in turn being able to burn a bit more fuel. Like you said though, it would probably be a marginal difference at best.

Back