• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A multitude of issues!! Need help ASAP!

crackerican69

Veteran CEG'er
So where do I begin??? Back in October/November of last year, I had a fire in Blue (#6357) from some horribly wired aftermarket alarm installed by one of the previous owners. Ever since then, I have had a bunch of electrical issues. I lucked out and the only factory wiring damaged from the fire was the power door lock module and the antenna wire. All else was intact and in good shape. So I pulled the dash, removed the all the alarm wiring as well as the satellite radio wiring because I never used. I unplugged all the connections and let it all dry out for about a week, put it back together and went to start...nothing... Changed the main fuse box in the engine bay and all was well...for about a day. I noticed while driving that the wipers were sluggish (even on high) and the radio was cracking. Ive had these symptoms before with a previous car so I knew the battery was dying. Went to leave that night and I had a hard time starting and also had no headlights. Got a new battery the next day, installed, ran for a little bit and shut it off. Went to start that night and had nothing. Just turned and turned and turned but would not fire up. Checked the starter and it was bad so needless to say I got a new starter! This is where it gets a little interesting and where my issues come in to play. When I got done putting the starter in, it was fine but I took notice of a light in my dash. I went to move the car so my pump could reach the back tire to put air in cause it was flat and it stalled. Went to start and would just turn and turn and turn again, but not start!!! But to this light. It was the battery light! I figured since all these electrical issues have started after the fire, that by some coincidence it might all be related. Idk... maybe it fried the alternator. So suffice it to say...yup...you guessed it...I changed the f***ing alternator!!! And guess what??? ITS STILL ON!!! It was tested before installation and the old one was also tested and both were in perfect working order! So I spent a couple days (off and on) getting frustrated and yelling multiple expletives on numerous occasions for no damn good reason! One question I have is could I possibly have an internal issue with the starter since I didn't have a battery light on before the install?? And here is a list of my issues that I need to have fixed within the next 2 weeks, all of which are electrical related... Any input is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

1. Battery light still on and not charging properly (Clear Megafuse and is intact)
2. ABS and Brake light still on. (fresh fluid/bled/new master cylinder/brake booster and new ABS sensor to replace the one that got torn off)
3. Amp goes into "protect mode" as soon as the car is turned on. (good ground and new remote wired hooked up)
4. No gauge or interior lights at all! I have all the warning lights and what not, but the speedo/tach/etc do not illuminate, nor does the headlight switch. They worked perfectly fine a few days ago then stopped all together. Fuses are good.
5. Power mirrors do not work properly. Drivers side is only left/right. No up/down. nothing at all on the passenger side.
6. The PCM plug (engine bay), the bolt that holds it in place is broken and wiggles loose on occasion. Is there any type of glue or epoxy that I could use to hold that in place that is safe for that type of application?

All fuses both inside and in the engine bay are good! All grounds are good! All connections are tight!

If this were me I would change the whole interior harness of the car no clue what the fire and or water from putting it out may have damaged. externally the wiring may look fine but there could be 1 or 2 wires that are hidden and messed up causing multiple problems. That's just my opinion though.

I wouldn't do that, there are so many problems already most likely that would only complicate things. I don't hold out much hope, so much trouble there only an EXPERT wiring guy gonna fix all that and they are worth every penny of the whopping amount they will charge for that.

I could do it but not over the net, the 800 page book there with 50 pitfalls due to misunderstanding due to texting limitations, many of the things are simple by themselves but all lumped together???? A bloody nightmare. Good luck, you are going to need it all. You need someone good enough to weed out all parts as good/bad without buying them, if buying you are talking a fortune there.

'...and let it all dry out for about a week...'

If water sprayed in car you did more damage from that than the fire probably did. In short you made it much worse.

ASAP, that one's pretty funny............

Well...after some inspection, I found the one wire had a broken connection when I spliced for the dash clock. All is well on the inside. I bled the brakes again and the abs and brake light went off. Also...before I sprayed anything in the car when the fire happened, I had (surprisingly) the moment of calm thinking and disconnected the battery before anything wake! Probably saved me a much more significant headache. So what is left is the battery light, which again, wasn't on before starter replacement.headache. My plan is to change the battery/starter/alternator wire. If that doesn't work, going to try a new starter. It should still be covered under warranty so it should be a free replacement. The amp and mirrors are not a concern at this point.

Back