• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power lagging/ hesitating/ rough idling .help!

Antmc05

New CEG'er
Haven't even had this car a week yet. 108k..Ran and drove great when I got it! Took off the rigged up intake and put stock back on. Also cleaned gunk build up in throttle body. Forgot to plug back in TPS sensing throwing code p0122(after plugging TPS in) . Had light reset from shop and ran fine. It's came back since then and shuts off when it wants. On the fwy cruising 3k it starts to lag like misfiring. CEL blinked for a couple mins and I pulled over and let it sit for a min. Ran better after...

. Died tonight at stoplight. Idling up and down at low PRMs. Any starting points for what seems a miss fire and not so smooth idling?? And possibly adjusting TPS? Seems to run much better when cooler outside. Thanks!!

My first question rigged up intake? Did you replace the gaskets on the intake? I've seen a clogged/broken pcv cause issues.

Ya it was a universal spectra KN style filter with the small end spout of a small oil funnel sticking in the filter and the fill end going into the air intake tube. If you can picture that, yes ridiculous, I know. I didn't replaced the gasket s so I'm gonna make sure there aren't any major air leaks in the intake system. Plugs/wires were replaced at 101k. Any other ideas?? Any first steps in checking cause of misfire?? All help is appreciated.

The last couple days commuting it has ran fine! Besides at idle it starts sputtering and about dies but kicks back up. No CEL

Did you clean the maf? New intake, excess oil in the filter would cause it to malfunction... Car would miss fire cel would flash, just a suggestion, unplug it while idling, if the car goes into limp mode, it's your maf.

Did you clean the maf? New intake, excess oil in the filter would cause it to malfunction... Car would miss fire cel would flash, just a suggestion, unplug it while idling, if the car goes into limp mode, it's your maf.

I had cleaned the maf a few weeks ago but when I read this i tried the test u suggested and it sounded like it went to "limp mode" and I looked at it closer and pretty sure it was the original maf! So I replaced and all seems to be good!! Thanks a lot guys!!

Good to hear, never got a notification when you replied or I would of told you, glad the car is running :)

Back