• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water Pump Swap

Dyoel182

Addicted CEG'er
I've got a dribble coming out the pump seep hole when the car shuts off so it's time to do the pump after all these years. Originally I got just the pump section on a discount but looking at another thread I went ahead and ordered the whole replacement as well just in case that piece pops out and needs to be restaked. Is pulling the battery and tray worth my time or does it really not give you any extra clearance you need?

Totally worth your time. It does give you extra clearance and "comfort"...if you can use that word in working in a Contour engine bay.

I thought it might. From underneath (when I first noticed the seep hole was wet) it looked like I could do the impeller swap from right there but that from the top the battery is hogging some space. Now that hoses are coming off it will be nice to have as much room as I can get.

Plus...if any of the gasket remains on the surface, you'll want multiple angles to get it all cleared off for a good seal.

After seeing the problems with the inner cone possibly being loose I went ahead and ordered the whole sealed piece to avoid that and any gasket sealing issues.

I have only done this once, but absolutely pull the battery box. You should consider replacing the main radiator hose, but thats also more work.

As a related question, is it worth rebuilding the old pump, or just toss it ?

Mad Dog

As a related question, is it worth rebuilding the old pump, or just toss it ?

From what you see in other threads that is a toss up. There is a diverting cone in there that can come loose so a lot of folks just do the whole assembly and toss it. That's what I'm doing and the whole thing ended up being cheaper than just the pump I got anyhoo.

It's also a lot easier with the upper intake off...I did my pump while I had both intakes off for cleaning and bunch of other nonsense. With the intake on, I'll bet getting that big hose on and off the engine is a real •••••• lol. Might as well do the t-stat while you're in there too...it's like a $10 part, and a lot easier to change with everything apart.

The thermostat is not a bad idea actually since I'll have my hands down here anyhow. I don't think I'd go as far as pulling the intake since this will be a one day swap and I'd want to soak the upper but now that I know the TB isn't that much trouble I could pull it off and check that it's still clean from a few months ago.

Back