• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Tubular 4-bolt LCA's

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
I've decided to build a set of tubular 4 bolt LCA's for my car. The design is still in process, but I believe I should have something to show by this weekend, but no later then Wed next week.

Just trying to gauge how much interest there is so if/when I purchase material and parts I could figure out what it would be to buy in bulk.

I'm targeting $450 for a set, which is just a bit shy of OEM Ford replacements.

i'm interested too.... looking for DD service and not just track use only ....G.

I might be in if you make them better than the stangkillers. Swapping subframes is no issue for me.

Here is my design. There are a few more details I need to add, but you get the idea. Bar pin setup with stainless steel spherical bearings. There will be no camber adjustment. The design is intended to be a drop in factory replacement with greatly improved performance with regards to the OEM bushings. Only reason I designed these was because of the high failure rate I was experiencing with the factory units.

o0Yvus.png

wt7891.png

Those look nice, already swapped to 2 bolt for stangkillers, not going back. What sort of bushing are you using?

Sealed is the plan, but I may opt for a greased version.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

looking at your design mike, would it be possible to press your bar/bearing assembly in to a stock arm.... are the dimensions the same ? ....G.

No, unfortunately not. Ford made provisions for the bushing material they used in the arm so that it would grab when it was installed. You would have to machine the arms to make it work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

That looks pretty solid. I noticed huge traction/wheel hop improvements when I went to Stangkillers, so I imagine these will help in that regard as well.

Makes me wanna switch to 4 bolt. Problem with the two bolt is they pivot the wrong way...and with a slammed car like mine the A-arms tag the A-arm pockets a bit. Clearancing was needed....not a fan of the two bolt design....really makes no sense. They must like bushing bind I guess.

Extremely interested! I designed a set very much like yours a few years ago (biggest difference is I was going to use press-in after-market ball joints), but I haven't been able to find a machine shop willing to make them...

Are you going to make them out of aluminum or steel? My preference is aluminum.

DT.

NVSVT - most likely will be steel to keep the cost down, I don't really want to mess with aluminum at this point.

Update:
I have a brand new set of 4 bolts to use for fixturing. I'm still working with suppliers on coming to an arrangement for the bearing sleeves. I want snap rings to ensure the bearings are retained after being pressed in. This requires that the sleeves be machined, which I currently do not have the capability of doing in house.

Back