• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Return of the prodigal car?

PDXSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Tags expire soon, CEL issues, high idle, electrical issues, banged up, dirty like a dustbin and ashtray, driver door doesn't work from outside...

BUT MY CSVT CAME BACK TODAY

Aussie Ford helped me go get it, drove it back into town, then we swapped out a power drivers seat I'd previously bought from contours r us.

Will update the signature soon. And post pics of the bruises.

Wheels turn slow, yes, but I expect other factors weighed on the car being returned: expiring tags, lots of problems interfering with updating the tags, my name on the title.

Hey, does Shortyman look at his texts? Does he read these boards? Can I borrow his garage/lift for a look at the underneath of the returned car?

Bill, thanks for the spotting on Sam and the bumper covers. Still no word from Shortyman about access to the garage.

Bob - roger that! btw - those doors, hood, trunk, rear seats and rear door panels are calling your name. Come get them as we can figure out the "details later".

So is that your ad on craigslist for those items?

Meanwhile, Randy is ALIVE but I have no idea about garage access.

Still waiting to hear from Randy for garage/lift access, Aussie Ford could not get a read on car with code reader.

Swapped prior PCM back in, car started and idled. Maybe this means I still have the dyno tune if that pcm still works? Might be a leak or two around some cracking hoses near the iac, not sure if old serpentine is stretched and that's part of issues, but belt is cracking on ribbed side. Hope to soon learn more of what's needed.

(Aussie Ford waves on the sideline to contour r us, doing swabbie flagging signals of "don't encourage him, he'll never stop." ) After thinking of villagers with pitchforks and torches at the end of Frankenstein, why does my brain now want to switch to Cagney's "Top of the world, Ma!" at the end of White Heat?

Topic change. Did we blow it? Rainy season is soon to start, AF is doing some refinishing on the outside of his house, should provisional plans be discussed about on upcoming rare dry weekend days we do a work party on his house? If Shortyman is needing a clutch job, that can be done indoors during drizzle if he knows someone with a lift. Outdoor painting in the rain doesn't work so well and AF is rarely more than 2 people at once.

AF got a code reading of P1506. I see from searching for "1506" some old threads here mention checking for issues of vaccuum lines, wires shorting, IAC valves being stuck open, etc. But I'm very surprised the car did not flash a handful of other codes above and in addition to that one code.

From the 2009 thread:

"Some of the causes for this code are:
1) Engine vacuum leak
2) EVAP system problem
3) IAC circuit shorted to ground
4) IAC valve stuck open, or damaged
5) Throttle body or plate contaminated or very dirty."

AF got a code reading of P1506. I see from searching for "1506" some old threads here mention checking for issues of vaccuum lines, wires shorting, IAC valves being stuck open, etc. But I'm very surprised the car did not flash a handful of other codes above and in addition to that one code.

From the 2009 thread:

"Some of the causes for this code are:
1) Engine vacuum leak
2) EVAP system problem
3) IAC circuit shorted to ground
4) IAC valve stuck open, or damaged
5) Throttle body or plate contaminated or very dirty."

These engines carbon up so easy that the first thing I would check is carbon buildup in the IAC and intake.

The stock IAC was waaaay caked up dirty. Slapped on a U pulled IAC, cleaned up original one, will know more soon if the IAC related codes are resolved or not.

Remember that amphibious car from the 60s? I'm happy she did not do what Shotwell was always talking of, driving it into a river.

Back