• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rod bearings

formulad3

CEG'er
Hi all,
was wondering if it is possible to change out the rod bearings with motor in the car?
Was thinking of putting car up on a lift and dropping the exhuast and oil pan, then just swap out the 1 or 2 bad bearings just to keep car on the road for another 2 months til i can tear it down and rebuild it.

Does anyone know if there is something in the way that will prevent me from doing it this way?
Thanks guys,
aaron

My buddies dad just did this on his old SVT to give it to his little brother for a first car. Been a couple months things are still good, they did it in the driveway. I would go for it.

Thanks for the replies.
Got the rod bearings this morning
And am 2 bolts away from dropping oil
Pan.
Thanks again,
I'll let ya know how it goes

Absolutely possible. I've never done it before. But I can't envision any possible hinderances. Take exhaust off as you surmised already, take off oilpan, intakes & valvecovers, & make sure you have access to the crank wheel so you can turn it ONLY clockwise to set whichever cylinder you want at top dead center. Change bearings & voila.

Edit- I meant bottom dead center, not top. You don't wanna nick the crank while sliding the piston down.

Last edited:
Well, lets just say the one rod was in too poor of condition... I went ahead and tried it anyways but no go :(
i picked up an 04 taurus engine last night, now i just gotta figure out what i all need to swap from one 3.0l to the other 3.0l......
Any good ideas or words to the wise????
Thanks guys

because i gotta drive to michigan in mid october for abb robotics training and this is the car i plan to take. otherwise its the exploder and i dont feel like paying
too much for gas. company reimburses me but i still gotta cough it up first then wait for the reimbursement.
blu_fuz.... i private messaged you. give me a call.
thanks

Plus the journal on the crank is shot as well. So if i gotta pull the motor to do that i might as well replace the motor since its burning oil ( quart a week, 300 miles ) i just feel it to be easier to put in a healthy motor. ( 215 psi in all 6 cylinders on new motor )

Well, after 7 1/2 days of working on her after work ( 2-3 hrs a night ) new 3l is in and got almost 400 miles clocked already.
Changed oil 3 times and everything seems pretty happy. Except my wallet, lol.
To be honest... It really wasnt that hard at all. I found it to be more time consuming then anything.
But sure am glad thats over with. Now if only i could find a diff for the trans i would be all set.
She is finally scheduled for a tune by a very respectable sct custom tuner in my area on oct. 7. And is in getting a fresh alignment
as i write this.

A super huge thanks to all that have replied and helped me along the way. You guys/gals know who you are. Without you i wouldnt have even bothered
fixing this car. I was gonna part her out.

Thanks all,
aaron

thanks guys. she ran good great up til 2 days ago when the abs, brake, check engine and alt lights came on n she struggled to move from a stop sign.
( sigh ) just cant seem to win, lol. its getting late enough in the season that i think its just time to retire her for the year :(

Back