• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tick/knock after hard right onto on-ramp?????

formulad3

CEG'er
hi all,
98.5 svt port-matched 3l. was getting onto highway and got on it a bit and then i heard a slight knock/ticking sound from engine bay. it appears that it comes on with acceleration and goes away when i let off the gas. almost sounds like something is loose in drivetrain. is it possible to have collapsed a hla?
wat do they sound like when they go out? any and all ideas would be amazingly appreciated.
the car has wr headers/y-pipe obx racing exhaust, mustang tb, etc..

let car sit for a few days and started it last night and i thought it was gone as it did not make any noise when i was at idle but when i stated to take off i heard it very faintly and as i drove more it got louder and more frequent. again, when i would let off the gas, it seems to go away or get quiet enough not to hear it.

thanks guys,
aaron

if you dont have the oil over filled or something done to prevent the engine from starving for oil on hard rights then, not good. CSVTs are known for having this issue, hold a long hard right and the oil dosent get pumped because its mostly to one side, over fill a bit and keep the rpm low on on and off ramps. good luck!

if you dont have the oil over filled or something done to prevent the engine from starving for oil on hard rights then, not good. CSVTs are known for having this issue, hold a long hard right and the oil dosent get pumped because its mostly to one side, over fill a bit and keep the rpm low on on and off ramps. good luck!

I think its pretty well accepted now that oil starvation isn't the cause of failed rod bearings. The rods stretch over time due to how they are made and then they let the bearing spin.

I do completely agree with using at least 6.5 qts of oil over the book 5.8 qts.

As a side note, I have never seen the oil pressure drop on a hard right hand turn with high rpm.

To the OP, most bearing noises tend to sound like they are in the head when its really the rod bearings. Is the sound at the same speed as the rpm or is it faster?

have you watched some youtube videos of rod knock to see if it sounds the same?

No, im very familiar with rod bearing failures due to my years of foxbody rustangs. Also, i pulled the y pipe and oil pan and started removing rod caps.
Started at the passenger side and everything looked really good til i got to the last rod. Had to chisel out the old bearing since it had melted around the
sides of the rod. Even started friction welding to the side walls of the crank journal. She is toasted. Already got an 04 sable engine at the shop and should
have the drivetrain out tonight hopefully.......

Well, you are moving faster than I can help! I'm leaving for the weekend and just can't get there to help. Good luck!

Back