• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedo failure/loss of power-

B.Brattina

Hard-core CEG'er
Well it's been happening for a while, the quick run-down of the situation is sometimes the speedo/odo works and sometimes it doesn't.. When it works, it takes a few miles to finally kick in... However, the real thing that worries me is the car drives and picks up extremely different from when the speedo/odo are working than when it's not.. I'm just curious as to if anyone can pin point the problem or at least have a general guess.. Any help or guesses would be much appreciated, and if it's a quick fix or at least if one of the SEMI gurus can help me i'd love to have an excuse to get away from the lady and have some beers and fix it :)

-Blake

you may have a bad speed sensor.

if not you likely have wiring with insulation pealing off and shorting out

good luck I'd check the wiring for the speed sensor if the speed sensor won't fix it.

Pretty much in the area I was guessing.. Not sure if I made clear to everyone that when it doesn't work, it stays at 0mpg and gas level, etc never changes. Thanks for the response so far :)

Pretty much in the area I was guessing.. Not sure if I made clear to everyone that when it doesn't work, it stays at 0mpg and gas level, etc never changes. Thanks for the response so far :)

may be in your gauge cluster then got a 99 Windstar that some times the guages freeze or spaz once had it say I was going over a hundred when I was parked a few taps on the dash usually get it back to normal can't seem to figure out how to unplug the Guage cluster.

Back