• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bored after 4 years...

That's disgusting:nonono:

Aren't you a clever one. :rolleyes:

the jeep 5 speed tranny is pretty crappy. we have a 00 wrangler in the houshold and even at 50k or so it would pop out of gear, not go into reverse on occasion. I looked into it a little and found the they used a pretty weak tranny. im not sure on the year ranges, though

I think you will drive a cherokee for a few months, and ask yourself why you thought it would be so fun- and thats my opinion.

The automatic in the Cherokee is considered one of the best auto's to leave a Chrysler facility.

You're right that it's your opinion. I had two SVT's and then the XJ. I've had it for over a year and a half now, and I don't regret it one bit. The aftermarket for them is amazing, and I really don't think you can ever run out of things to do to it. RWD and 4WD are the best things in one fun small package.

I will say though, if you buy it for commuting and, on rare occasions, hauling something...I wouldn't suggest it. I got one because I planned on using it for what it was built for. The SVT was a seasonal fun car in my area. I could only drive it like it was meant to for so many months of the year, then it was driving like grandma 4-6 months of the year. That, and NEPA winters aren't exactly easy when you live on a hill as ????ty as mine.

Well, here's the thing. A second vehicle is more likely to be a step away from financial simplification rather than a step toward it, but as the old saying goes, "'To each their own,' said the maiden as she kissed the cow's ass."

I think my vote is to skip the Cherokee, sell the Contour, and go with something like this for a while:

1993 Ford Tempo - 93,000 miles - $750 (Bellingham)

Reply to: sale-es6us-1271206530@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-16, 10:25AM EDT

1993 Ford Tempo - 93,000 miles

Automatic V6 3.0 motor. Runs and drives good. Car is clean in and out.

If you would like, please come check out the vehicle at:
161 Mechanic Street (Route 140) in Bellingham, MA - HOURS: M-Thurs 11-7; Fri 12:30-7; Sat 12-4

Or you can call 508-380-2006 or reply via email to this ad.

Thanks.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3n53k13ofZZZZZZZZZ97f836764cbd023181b.jpg
3n83me3p0ZZZZZZZZZ97ff712b8e61e72135d.jpg
3k63mf3pfZZZZZZZZZ97ff6043f664af4127c.jpg

Cobrawannabe may poke his nose in shortly to wax lyrical about the Vulcan V6. :cool:

The automatic in the Cherokee is considered one of the best auto's to leave a Chrysler facility.

You're right that it's your opinion. I had two SVT's and then the XJ. I've had it for over a year and a half now, and I don't regret it one bit. The aftermarket for them is amazing, and I really don't think you can ever run out of things to do to it. RWD and 4WD are the best things in one fun small package.

I will say though, if you buy it for commuting and, on rare occasions, hauling something...I wouldn't suggest it. I got one because I planned on using it for what it was built for. The SVT was a seasonal fun car in my area. I could only drive it like it was meant to for so many months of the year, then it was driving like grandma 4-6 months of the year. That, and NEPA winters aren't exactly easy when you live on a hill as ????ty as mine.

exactly my point. i really like our wrangler, its been really reliable, fun with the top off, etc. We have gone down to the beach and gotten the off-road permit, that was great. but as a daily commuter, not so much.

as for the tranny, once again, i will agree with you there, the auto is supposed to be awesome, the 5 speed, on the other hand, not so much once again.

don't listen to LauraSVT. He always tries to get people to buy the cars he really wants to buy so he can live vicariously through them.
;) :D

don't listen to LauraSVT. He always tries to get people to buy the cars he really wants to buy so he can live vicariously through them.
;) :D

I would have picked an '84 or '85 Tempo with a 4 or 5-speed. :cool:

Ian, you could make me an offer on my Town Car. She's in great shape and will net you 21 mpg on the highway. :cool:

exactly my point. i really like our wrangler, its been really reliable, fun with the top off, etc. We have gone down to the beach and gotten the off-road permit, that was great. but as a daily commuter, not so much.

as for the tranny, once again, i will agree with you there, the auto is supposed to be awesome, the 5 speed, on the other hand, not so much once again.

Although the 4.0L is quite indestructible. :laugh:

Although the 4.0L is quite indestructible. :laugh:

agreed again. our wrangler has been owned since 05, it had 52k on it when we got it. So far, after 40K+ miles, i have changed the fluids, and had to change the sway bar bushings and endlinks. not bad for 4 years and 40k miles. that 4L has some torque, too

agreed again. our wrangler has been owned since 05, it had 52k on it when we got it. So far, after 40K+ miles, i have changed the fluids, and had to change the sway bar bushings and endlinks. not bad for 4 years and 40k miles. that 4L has some torque, too

Mines pushing 230k.

I think it finally got out of the break-in period about 30k miles ago. :laugh:

Mines pushing 230k.

I think it finally got out of the break-in period about 30k miles ago. :laugh:

my explorer 96 4.0 OHV V6 is pushing 282,000+ the only mager thing we did to the car since we had it since like 2001, we got it with like 160,000 miles. we havd to rebuild ther tranny, but other then that it was just ur basic crap!!!!

I honestly think they took the 4.0L from the 90's out of production because they were too reliable. That's just my guess, most people in the community think that too.

Cobrawannabe may poke his nose in shortly to wax lyrical about the Vulcan V6. :cool:
I most certainly will!

The familys on it's second Vulcan...

Engine 1.
Towed 2500 lbs routinely (in a Taurus which was rated at 800 lbs towing!) until the tranny started to go at 185,000 miles. Literally no major drivetrain repairs. Just had struts (big surprise) replaced at like 140,000, and that's it.

Engine 2.
Still running like new at 165,000 miles knock-on-wood. The original wires are starting to fowl the plugs we put in at 120,000 miles, so we may need to do that. Looks like it may need struts now, but other than that and a plastic piece on the water pump bracket, no major repairs.

Both cars were run with religiously changed Mobil1. I don't think anyone has ever come out with a more reliable V6 with more bang for the buck.

However, will I suggest a Tempo for the fun car? No. Well, actually, sure. Besides my mother's 82 5L Capri and my current car, my parents say their old 2.3 H.O. 5-speed Tempo was the most fun they've ever had with a car.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1283310738.html

or

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1283202496.html

or

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1283730778.html

personally, i'd take the last one

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1284099901.html

Economical and fun to drive, you get an 8 foot bed and 500 hp....

but seriously, just get a cougar, fold down the rear seats and you can fit a damn mattress in there all for under 3K, see
http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/1284232292.html

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/1282941197.html

I would have picked an '84 or '85 Tempo with a 4 or 5-speed. :cool:

Ian, you could make me an offer on my Town Car. She's in great shape and will net you 21 mpg on the highway. :cool:

Funny story...there's been two 1992 Lincoln Town cars for sale locally for quite some time. Both fully loaded, both only $2000. Still too much for me at this time, though :laugh:

Why not fix the contour ASAP? Coolants lines are like a half an hour fix including driving to the parts store :shrug:

A coolant LINE is much different than the WATER PUMP GASKET on a pre98 Zetec. :nonono:

BTW, I think people are failing to see that my budget on purchasing a new fun vehicle is $1000...:crazy:

I told a friend of mine $1200...I was asking $1800, not really advertising yet. I sold the lift kit a while back, but they can still be had...went like hell through light mud. I love that thing in the snow so much better than the jeep, although I'm sure it had alot to do w/ the tires.

I told a friend of mine $1200...I was asking $1800, not really advertising yet. I sold the lift kit a while back, but they can still be had...went like hell through light mud. I love that thing in the snow so much better than the jeep, although I'm sure it had alot to do w/ the tires.

I have a cheap set of goodyear wranglers on my XJ. $67 a piece with a crappy 300 tread wear, but a very aggressive tire though. It went everywhere in the winter and in the woods. Never slipped on wet rocks or mud. Barely had to use 4wd in the winter since I had the front driver shaft out. :laugh:

I've never really considered the Kia Sportage for anything of the off road nature. I guess we learn something every day.

Back