• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Somewhat Annual Check-In

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
Hey everyone, here's what I've been up to with the Focus. I'm in the air between another Contour and a Ranger for a DD, and have set my deadline to buy for late November. The Focus currently has about 132,500 miles on it, and has been all but perfect to me since day one. It is paid off, still gets over 30mpg mixed, and puts an even bigger smile on my face than it did the day I took it home. I could not be happier with it.

10275453_598461100268371_9023760794269115144_o.jpg

10485541_593370007444147_6007024132358858131_o.jpg

10498660_592687670845714_330395827720998497_o.jpg

DSC_0463-1024x678.jpg

DSC_0393-1024x678.jpg

Wheels/Tires:
-16x7.5 et20 Borbet Type B
-205/40-16 Kumho Ecsta AST (extremely impressive so far, especially for the price!)

Suspension:
-H&R Coilovers
-150mm x 60mm I.D. x 450lb/in rear springs
-Energy Suspension rear endlinks (rebuilt with stainless hardware)
-K|Bdev. adjustable front endlinks (currently disconnected to aid rotation)
-Prothane rear swaybar bushings
-Prothane inner/outer rear LCA bushings
-SPC camber arms
-K|Bdev. toe arms (heim-jointed)
-Prothane front control arm bushings
-Deleted rear cam bolts

Power/delivery:
-Modified Marcy Motorsports intake
-2.5" K|Bdev. T-304 stainless flex-back exhaust
-Energy dogbone inserts
-C-F-M balance shaft delete
-Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter

Exterior:
-Customized headlights with silver bezels and "Frenched" (yellow) turn signal chambers
-Front lip from an Escalade
-Satin black rear bumper louvers
-Satin black fender stripes IN VINYL, NOT PLASTI-DIP.
-C-F-M billet shorty antenna
-Tinted taillights
-Customized clear markers
-Fenders rolled and pulled to within an inch of their lives
-Dings, dents, chips, and scratches everywhere
-Thule Aero roofrack with Side Arm bike attachment and snowboard clamp. (mod? Not sure...)
-Ventshades (worth a mention)

Interior:
-Pioneer factory-size coaxial speakers in each door
-MK1 center console re-colored black with aluminum-colored shifter surround.
-Redline Goods black leather shifter/e-brake boots with red stitching
-Black suede-covered cluster surround and door pull surrounds

On the way/Not yet installed:
-FSWerks 60mm front spring conversion
-FSWerks "Race" camber/caster plates
-H&R 60mm I.D. race springs: 80mm x 624 lb/in front, 80mm x 748 lb/in rear
-Clutchmasters Stage I clutch
-Clutchmasters aluminum flywheel
-Cadence "Beast" 10" sub
-More suede
-Delrin steering rack bushings
-Solid shifter base bushings
- -AN conversion with black braided stainless line on power steering, along with a remote-mounted cooler

As far as winter plans are concerned...
-Crower Stage II "3/4 race" cams
-3.5" 6061-T6 intake tube with C-F-M MAF plate welded in
-FSWerks long-tube header with flex pipe converted to v-band to fit the exhaust I built
-Dyno tune
-3-piece wheels
-Slicks for auto-x
-Maybe a rework on the headlights: Current ones are close, but not exactly perfect
-New front fenders
-RS Collection or Roush sideskirts
-Repair or replace my FocusSport lip from last year
-New front subframe (for obvious reasons)
-New axles (if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...)

For those wondering what I'm up to: I'm out of school and working as a Project Engineer at Pratt & Whitney in Middletown, CT. I still talk to and hang out with the Glucks (Elky and Jess) regularly (helped them move back in June), and speak with Jared Martin (LauraSVT) once or twice a week. I hear from Roger once in a while, and run into Brian at car shows from time to time.

I've actually crossed paths with quite a few of the old crew over the least year or so, which got me thinking that I should pop in and give a formal "hello". I hope all is well with everyone. :cool:

Hey man. Welcome back. Focus lookn good. If you're not too concerned about moving out quickly, get the ranger. Gets just about the same mileage as a contour. Plus, you get the extra perk of being able to haul light loads. I've got a 2.3L 4banga.

Hey man. Welcome back. Focus lookn good. If you're not too concerned about moving out quickly, get the ranger. Gets just about the same mileage as a contour. Plus, you get the extra perk of being able to haul light loads. I've got a 2.3L 4banga.

Thanks, dude! The plan for a Ranger is strictly a 2.3 (Lima or Duratec, I don't much care either way), 5-speed, short bed single cab. I love driving those trucks, it is so much fun. As far as a Contour is concerned, it would be the "nice, comfortable choice". I miss mine a lot, but this time around I'd be getting a pre-98 V6 5-speed rather than my old Zetec automatic.

Matt, good to see you at the show Monday night. I am planning to be back up there this coming Monday night.

I would say go for the Contour unless you really need a truck. But then again I am not a huge fan of trucks ... and its a contour ... and the sound a Duratec V6 ...

Thanks, dude! The plan for a Ranger is strictly a 2.3 (Lima or Duratec, I don't much care either way), 5-speed, short bed single cab. I love driving those trucks, it is so much fun. As far as a Contour is concerned, it would be the "nice, comfortable choice". I miss mine a lot, but this time around I'd be getting a pre-98 V6 5-speed rather than my old Zetec automatic.

Yes to the pre 98 v6 with 5 speed. Loved mine.

Matt, good to see you at the show Monday night. I am planning to be back up there this coming Monday night.

I would say go for the Contour unless you really need a truck. But then again I am not a huge fan of trucks ... and its a contour ... and the sound a Duratec V6 ...
It's always a pleaseure to run into you. I'll be at Mark's every week I can make it up there.

The sound, Contouryness, and not truck parts are my favorites. :lol:
Yes to the pre 98 v6 with 5 speed. Loved mine.
I'm really looking for a T-Red over tan, but I'm really open to anything. That drivetrain, color, and interior combined with my favorite year make for a very strong argument in the Contour's favor.
Focus looks great!! as for DD, ranger could come in handy, but Contours are always nice too!
Thank you! You seem to understand my dilemma hahaha.
Forgot to mention that the ranger is generally more reliable as well. These things die hard. I've had mine for almost 3yrs now. Not. One. Single. Problem. Not even a sensor...
Oh, I know the trucks inside and out, there's not an argument you can make for them that hasn't crossed my mind. In my opinion, Rangers are the best truck ever made.

On the other hand, I firmly believe a V6 5-speed Contour is one of the best compact sports sedans ever made. It is truly a tough decision.

Matt nice to see you popped in. I pop in from time to time myself. I still have the contour ( posted my 14yr titled thread ) I take the mustang to shows mostly but I do get the tour out also. Good luck on the vehicle choice.

Matt nice to see you popped in. I pop in from time to time myself. I still have the contour ( posted my 14yr titled thread ) I take the mustang to shows mostly but I do get the tour out also. Good luck on the vehicle choice.
I saw your thread, I've always loved that car. I'd really like to see the Mustang at some point, I remember watching that car get rebuilt through your ongoing thread for years.

From someone who owns two sedans, you should go for the Ranger.
As a CEGer, you definitely want the Contour.

One of each?

Back