• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knock sensor wiring

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys; i am adding a knock sensor to my engine .

I know the yellow wire goes to pin #57 on the ECU. This pin has a live feed from the ignition and has several sensors connected to it.

Could someone tell me where the black and white wire goes please.

I suspect it goes to the PCM, as going straight to ground makes no sense, thanks ....G.

pin 57 is correct other wire is ground.

Hey svttour; i agree that the black/white is a ground wire.... but i believe it goes to the pcm and is grounded thru the PCM.

If it just grounded, it would not do anything regards sending a signal to the pcm.

Did you look in the wiring diagram ? I need to know what the SVT wiring says because my ST24 harness maybe differently pinned out, thanks ....G.

I splice it to any of the brown wires on the harness works just fine on my harness conversions.

hmmmm.... i don't understand how that circuit works then .

From my wiring diagram.... yellow picks up a supply from pin# 57 (as do other circuits) and goes to the sensor and then ..... goes to ground ???? How does the pcm pull timing from that ? How does the pcm know which sensor is grounding out ?

I need to look at an SVT RJL1 PCM diagram and look at the pin outs. ....G.

ok well that explains something ... the sensor wiring colors i have from an ST200 are different !!

thanks ...G.

that is correct... the dash harness I bought from an st200 mondeo was completely different then that of the U.S. SVT

i can imagine ...

I need to gather a lot of wiring info. before i can begin to wire in this knock sensor.

BTW. While i was searching, i ended up on the megasquirt support forum. It was said on there, that knock sensors are calibrated to the resonant frequency of the engine they are fitted to.

Aparently; 2.5l and 3.0l engines have different frequencies. No one challenged that assertion ... might be worth further investigation ....G.

THink he is putting SVT ecu into his Euro st24 car.

actually i've had an RJL1 in my car for at least the last 5 years. I'm soon going to be connecting up the vortech and i would like the protection of the knock sensor.

The issue i have is the different wiring colors and pin outs between cars.

Thank you dennyb for explaining the operation of the knock sensor ...... hope you stick around.

If someone could post up the pin outs for the RJL1 that would be awesome. (stuff like that should be stickied)

how is a knock sensor going to help if your car is tuned without one?

i thought a knock sensor was an additional tool like a wideband, not an integral part like a crank position sensor.

i'm hoping, after reading that knock sensors can cause problems during tuning ...... that if necessary i can unplug it during tuning and plug it back in afterwards ...G.

do you know if the RJL1 had a knock sensor coded into it ? ..... G.

ok thanks, that just leaves me needing to compare the pin outs of an RJL1 with an ST24 pcm.

Seems the wiring diagrams for both are very hard to find .... G.

Back