• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help not running

royalblue

In time out with LUCA
I took my 95 SE MTX to a "trans" shop to have the clutch replaced when I picked it up (the first time ) I drove it down the street maybe 4 miles noticed the temp Gauge was pegged hot .I pulled over to look under the hood and saw the top corner mount pin in the radiator broken and leaking so I turned around and went back .
So they have replaced the radiator and the fan wiring harness and now it won't start :mad: they say it has no fuel or spark they have hot wired the fuel pump and it (the pump) runs .
any ideas I can give them to try so I can get my car back:confused::help:

The 3 big connectors on the rear valve cover by the passenger strut mount are probably just not clipped tight. Unclip and clip them together again and maybe even put a zip tie across the 2 connectors.

thanks Joe I'll have them take a look ,,any other ideas or things to check please LMK

what about the VSS ? would that cause a no start condition? I replaced the sensor a couple of years ago but at the time it was only intermittent problems never a no start.

Ok just a thought ,these people are killing me

Damn. sounds like they don't work on contours much.

I'd get them to pay for the radiator and LEAVE. ... even if i had to tow it home.

Check they plugged the fans back in ... could be why it got hot ....G.

Its scary when the car is out of your hands..... good luck man. Fans, H20 pump belt, connectors, loose ground under intake filter, ummmmm

Damn. sounds like they don't work on contours much.

I'd get them to pay for the radiator and LEAVE. ... even if i had to tow it home.

Check they plugged the fans back in ... could be why it got hot ....G.
yeah they already ate the radiator and fan wiring
Its scary when the car is out of your hands..... good luck man. Fans, H20 pump belt, connectors, loose ground under intake filter, ummmmm
very scary , loose ground under intake filter ? you mean under the intake manifold or air filter box ?

Under the filter box close to the battery tray. If that one ground is loose even a little it can keep the car from starting at all.

For some reason, the one under the intake seems to make the worst connection not sure why.

Correct, no PATS.

It really could be the harness, that its finally shorting out or broke wires completely.....

they replaced the cooling fan harness .I know the wiring on the car is sketchy .and I told them that before they started they took on the job anyway .I really don't want to sue them or anything .I wish someone like yourself with a clue was closer .
what harness would do this? the one that runs under the upper intake manifold?

If I had to guess, there are going to be 3 major problem areas you can check first.

#1 near the battery terminals/fuse box the wires fray/short
#2 @ the 3 big plugs on the rear valve cover passenger side, same
#3 @ the injector harness near or at the fuel injectors

Some other problem areas on a '95 is the ECU plug under the power steering fluid res (also make sure plug is fully seated). At the coil pack where the harness connects to the coil.

Don't forget to check the plug/harness at the ignition control module (1995 specific part) mounted on the fire wall just to the right of the power steering fluid res. That not plugged in fully will also cause a no-start.

Where is the car located now? I'm busy this week and out of town for the weekend but should have some time early next week if you needed a second set of eyes on it...

I've experienced a couple no-start issues over the years but never one quite like you have. I've seen the big 3 plugs on the rear VC like Joe suggested cause a no-start condition. I've seen a bad set of injectors cause it (although they were out of a junkyard motor so unknown condition to begin with) and I've seen PATS issues. Given that your 95 has a potential wiring harness issue, that might be a good place to start looking.

When the shop did the transmission, did they pull the drivetrain out the top or did they use one of those splitters to push it apart enough to do the clutch (not sure this is feasible on a Contour but I've heard of it being done)? My suspicion is in the process of replacing the fan wiring harness they had some insulation flake off and cause a short. I'd check all the under-hood fuses for blown ones as that might point you in the right direction.

What exactly does the car do now? I assume it turns over but does not fire? Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to run? Do you have spark? Does it cough at all when you try to start or just turn over?

EDIT: You could also buy my SVT before I opt to replace the rear subframe and keep it another year or two... :)

Where is the car located now? I'm busy this week and out of town for the weekend but should have some time early next week if you needed a second set of eyes on it...
It's in Newfield NY Place called Sureshift
I've experienced a couple no-start issues over the years but never one quite like you have. I've seen the big 3 plugs on the rear VC like Joe suggested cause a no-start condition. I've seen a bad set of injectors cause it (although they were out of a junkyard motor so unknown condition to begin with) and I've seen PATS issues. Given that your 95 has a potential wiring harness issue, that might be a good place to start looking.
yeah the wiring is pretty bad and I told them that, but the car was running when I took it there and they didn't decline to do the work so in my mind they should get it running. No?
When the shop did the transmission, did they pull the drivetrain out the top or did they use one of those splitters to push it apart enough to do the clutch (not sure this is feasible on a Contour but I've heard of it being done)? My suspicion is in the process of replacing the fan wiring harness they had some insulation flake off and cause a short. I'd check all the under-hood fuses for blown ones as that might point you in the right direction.
Not sure if they took it from the bottom or top? but yeah right after they changed the cooling fan harness it developed the no start.
What exactly does the car do now? I assume it turns over but does not fire? Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to run? Do you have spark? Does it cough at all when you try to start or just turn over?
As far as I know it does turn over .they can jump the fuel pump ,but it doesn't come on on it's own. and doesn't fire no spark.
EDIT: You could also buy my SVT before I opt to replace the rear subframe and keep it another year or two... :)
Tempting ,and thanks for the offer,But I just did my rear sub frame and have a new clutch and radiator .I just want the thing to Run:help:

Back