• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 SE MTX 2.5L fuel line bust

pajacobsen

New CEG'er
Hello -- and HELP!

In flow fuel line is cracked at 90 degree elbow near fuel filter (actually, elbow is cracked,) leaking a ton of fuel.

So wants to replace it, but not sure how to go about it. Do I have to go all the way back to the tank? If so, can I use any hose or is there an OEM/Non-OEM part?

Can I (somehow) replace part of the hose around (and/or the elbow.) The pipe is rigid plastic/rubber and there is very little or no slack.

I suspect this is simple, but I have never done it before, so ... HELP!

Thanks... I am in Maryland if someone is handy and nearby....

You can cut the line then install FUEL INJECTION Fuel hose using multiple clamps made for fuel lines on each end. I would also cover the repair with another hose to protect it. I have done this in the past by using a huge hose covering the repair, kindof like using shrink rap on electrical connections. I zip tied the hose in many places and it worked fine for years.

Dorman now makes short plastic line end fittings and splices that can fix that pretty quick, the kicker is the special fitting installation tool that runs around $100. You can use a caulking gun and the clamp off a flaring set to replicate that tool though. Careful thought about cobbled up mandrels to support the fitting while pressing it does the rest.

Back