• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT/ Non-SVT Airbox interchange?

toolbox

CEG'er
Hey guys,
Just picked up a 98 SVT... The PO put an inexpensive open element air cleaner on it at some point...it must have been a really long time ago since it was originally blue, but now it's an oily black. Since I'm not really worried about squeezing every last tiny bit of power out of the thing, I'd like to go back to a stock air box. Obviously I'd like to use an SVT box, but I can't find one on ebay...but there are plenty of them for the regular Duratec 2.5 cars. Anybody know if they'll drop in? Thoughts?
Thanks!

Yes the box itself will drop in. The issue is the non-SVT has the IAT sensor on the side of the airbox and not in the accordion tube. This would need to be blocked off. Also the fender snorkel will not match up.

Yes the box itself will drop in. The issue is the non-SVT has the IAT sensor on the side of the airbox and not in the accordion tube. This would need to be blocked off. Also the fender snorkel will not match up.

Well, shoot. Thanks for the info... Plugging a hole is no big deal...not being able to attach it to the hole in the fender is kind of an issue. Not much point in switching from one hot air intake to another lol.
I wonder how hard it would be to fab a connector between the two... Ultimately all I want is to be able to get cold air back into the intake again, but I don't want to hack the car up to do it. Maybe I'll try and find a standard 2.5L box and see if I can fab up a way to connect it to the fender...while I keep searching ebay for a stock SVT box...

I just left an svt intake cone with snorkel and intake tube in the junkyard a couple days ago...

Right, you can take the fender snorkel from a non-SVT car and install it as well, and make perfectly good use of a stock airbox. It's just that usually when people sell an airbox, they don't include that piece.

I just left an svt intake cone with snorkel and intake tube in the junkyard a couple days ago...

If you plan on heading back there any time soon let me know...I'd be happy to toss a couple bucks your way for your time...

Right, you can take the fender snorkel from a non-SVT car and install it as well, and make perfectly good use of a stock airbox. It's just that usually when people sell an airbox, they don't include that piece.

Hmmm...I sent an e-mail to one of the really big junkyards in Spokane last night...they have a couple of Cougars with the 2.5, and they said they do have the airbox. I'll have to see if they could just pull the fender snorkel along with it...

Hmmm...I sent an e-mail to one of the really big junkyards in Spokane last night...they have a couple of Cougars with the 2.5, and they said they do have the airbox. I'll have to see if they could just pull the fender snorkel along with it...

For what it's worth, I put an SVT Contour airbox in a Cougar a few weeks ago. We pulled the Cougar fender snorkel and replaced it with an SVT Contour one. It's a NASTY CREEP to get in there with the fuse box in the way, so you have to twist and cram and bust up your knuckles. But it interchanges just fine.

It's a super-easy job if you remove the battery tray and pull the fuse box away. But that's a whole new headache itself.

For what it's worth, I put an SVT Contour airbox in a Cougar a few weeks ago. We pulled the Cougar fender snorkel and replaced it with an SVT Contour one. It's a NASTY CREEP to get in there with the fuse box in the way, so you have to twist and cram and bust up your knuckles. But it interchanges just fine.

It's a super-easy job if you remove the battery tray and pull the fuse box away. But that's a whole new headache itself.

I took a look at it while I was working on it this weekend...and yea, I can see how it's shoehorned into there. On the bright side, another forum member may have an original box to sell, so I may be able to avoid the headache...

Back