• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Super Chip F ??

Cheif Steele

CEG'er
So pulled the PCM making sure that I have a tight fit. And I found I have a Super Chip F and not the stock chip. I am going to try and find out what is on it since their are a few authorized dealers around the area. Does anyone here have idea what it might be? and could it also be leading to some if the issues I am having?

Here is what is on the chip

Superchips F RJL1_RS I have a good idea that the F= ford and then the PCM for the car but what is the RS? Race Series?

and because its not machined to fit it was being held on with tape and the bracket so I would almost bet that its part of the reason it dies when I hit a bump on that right side.when we had it out and started it pushed it a little and did the same as before. so now we are putting it all back in and testing it again once with out someone hooding it in place and once with someone holding it.

I had a Superchips chip on my Cougar and had similar symptoms once when the car died on the side of the highway. If the chip is not seated well you could have that scenario. I pushed mine back in and used tape to secure it (as well as seal off PCM opening) and I never had another problem with it for over 5 years.

Stock there is no chip there, you would have a black plastic cap I believe over that opening. I'm not sure if Superchips made a base tune for the SVT or not, but I had a custom tune on my chip.

As noted, from the factory there is no chip but a plastic cover on the PCM. IIRC superchips did make a base tune as the chips where for specific PCM codes. It has been reported in the past the having the chip not seated or falling out while driving has caused serious issues. IIRC someone had the PATs system "reset" and they couldn't start the car until it went to the dealer.

If its a base tune, it could be pretty marginal what its doing anyway.

have a superchip fitted to my ecu as you describe to my 98 st24 now with st220 engine
as standard the ecu has a plastic bracket holding the ecu secure in the footwell
with the superchip fitted this bracket is left off as it no longer can fit
it was a couple of years after the superchip was fitted my car started to randomly cut out when driving , and noticed usually when there was suspension movement
I made up a new bracket and a bit of foam between it and the superchip and there was no problem after
my car was running really rich , and superchips loaded a map to reduce the fuel by 10 percent
it made a huge difference on part throttle acceleration , but no difference to the wot richness that is killing my top end power
next month I am having a unichip fitted and mapped on the dyno so hopefully will get the fueling sorted out

Back