• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strut Towers

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I'll be putting some new koni's and H&R's soon, and recently I found myself impulse buying suspension bits on BAT's website. I got new strut tower mounts for front and rear, but now I'm wondering if that was a complete waste of money. My SVT has about 95k miles on it, but I don't know if this is a normal wear item that is best to replace while I'm in there, or if it likely isn't. Thoughts?

My vote is on "replace them". Depending on a numbr of factors your current strut mounts wil have minimal to severe wear on them. Labor costs/time tilts it in your favor to replace them when breaking down your strut assemblies.

Why would you tear it apart and NOT replace them? Ask yourself if you'd feel happy pulling it all apart only to have them fail a week later, and then have to tear everything back apart again instead of doing them in the first place? Even better, you can assemble the new springs/struts and mounts before you take anything off and have a complete unit to swap back in, actually saving you time.

I have been there once and learned my lesson when I was 16 missed a night of work (and subsequent pay) because my car was down a second time. After that I will find the money somewhere, plus, he already bought them.

I actually forgot that I posted this thread… sorry. So thanks everyone, I feel better now about having bought them. It wasn't a matter of economics, but really I just didn't know how realistic it was that they needed replaced. I don't know that I actually understand what in the strut mount wears, but I will absolutely take your word for it. I assume there is some rubber within the mount that can rot and wear out.

When you get the new ones, compare them to the op's ones once you take them off and you'll see how much shorter they will be from age and abuse.

Back