• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knew it was coming and it did transmission is a lose.

Devilsword

New CEG'er
so the car was having input shaft bearing noises that was discovered in a earlier thread. I have stoped driving the car while i save up money for the job knowing it was a matter of time. Sadly 2 weeks ago we lost my wife's favorite car to hurricane Arthur on our vacation to outer banks. this put me in a rough situation needing to drive the car. Well tonight coming back from the dealership with my wifes new car the transmission went and i lossed the ability to use all gears but fifth but had to rev match and force it in. wile in fifth it was fine as long as i stay on the gas which i did until i pulled in my drive way. quick visual inspection i don't see any fluid leaks or chunks missing form the casing so i am going to say its just desperately in need of a rebuild and not another core. if i replace the tranny which ones are compatible and are there better choices?(this being said if i do get another core it will also be rebuilt.) also why the shop in there is there anything i should replace prt mounts ect? we are looking at a week before this goes out so any info would be helpful thank you :help:

I'm using a cougar tranny in my 98 svt. The MTX 75s are cross compatible with V6 engines between the years in the cougars, contours, and mystiques. My original tranny had 138xxx and a bad 1st and 3rd gear grind. I picked up a known good 99 cougar MTX with only 60xxx for like $50. I installed it when I did my 3L swap. So much easier than a rebuild and cheaper IMO. Still working strong over a year later.

I have a transmission with only 60k on it. It's out of a 99 Ford Contour Svt. Let me know if interested

so just a current update. i have chased down another transmission i hope to pick up next week for 50. the owner says it has the 3rd gear common grind. haven't been to chase any couger trannys yet but things may change when i get things moving next week. looking to send in both trannys and have them build a solid one out of the two. i figured while i was in there i might as well do a new slave cylinder maybe a fresh clutch disk(on in there was change right before i bought it), and shave the fly down to minimum spec(anyone know what that is?). anything else while i am in there? might get the shop to put headers and a Y pipe on while working on it. Wjbeadle i might be interested if the price is right.

Wow been really busy and had a massive hold up while getting the spare transmission rebuilt. Though after a long weekend i was able to get everything put in. Oddly enough the car will not stay in reverse. Its even will the old transmission it always had trouble getting into reverse but it worked. Now it goes into reverse but if i release the clutch it pops out. If i try to hold it in it grinds, but if we engage it at the transmission it will stay in. It almost like its just isnt making it all the way in with the shifter. Any suggestions?

Back