• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coolant leaking- mystery

ancientsanskrit

Hard-core CEG'er
Car- 1999 SE 130,000 miles, upgraded wp with proper impeller replaced almost 10 yrs ago

Anyways my folks have been driving the car and apparently the coolant has been leaking (half reservoir/day). Dad got the system pressure tested at Firestone and they're saying wp needs replacing. Unfortunately, car not within reach of me. Are the upgraded wps prone to fail? Car does not overheat, though smells a little warm and temps down on tx have been 100+. I'm thinking it may be as simple as the gasket to wp going bad.

Any tests to do before just replacing wp?
Thanks guys.

I've replaced my water pump 8 times on my zetec. If you got by 10 years you've done good-I've had my contour 11 years

What engine is in the car? When you say upgraded water pump I am thinking V6 and metal?

As long as the impellar isn't black plastic, it will be fine. The newer version of the pump from Ford has a white impellar and was a good price from the dealer a few years ago as it was the whole housing and hoses along with the pump. Last I heard/checked it was only $80.

If its leaking that much, you should be able to visibly see a leak. When my wp leaked, it was only because the weep hole was leaking. The pump still worked fine but it dripped out about as much coolant as this car is claiming to leak. You actually cant fix that without having to change the pump.

Back