• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buckshot Motorsports Aftercooler problem, need to find a solution

Chris@CTA

Veteran CEG'er
For those who don't know my car, it's a 1998 Contour SVT with a Vortech Supercharger. While my car has been off the road for a number of months, for some needed upgrades and a necessary transmission repair, the performance shop notified me that my Buckshot Aftercooler was (has been) leaking fluid. First shop they sent the cooler to said the cooler can't be fixed. Now the cooler is at a second shop to see if they can fix it. We're waiting for an answer.

If it is not repairable, I need to find an alternative means to replace the aftercooler. Has anyone seen or know of where I could get something that will work in place of this. The shop suggested that we work on doing an air to air intercooler, but I can't see how we could be able to pipe the Vortech to an front mounted intercooler and back to the throttle body. Maybe they have an idea for how to do it?

Any input would be help immensely.

Absolute worst case you should be able to buy a core and build end tanks. There are a few companies out there that will build custom ones for you too. I'm sure if you sent them the old one they could design/build a better one to replace it too.

Just buy the one I posted and cut it up and weld it. Not a big deal.

No Title

My SVT is back at the shop, this time though, to do the final tune after breaking in all of the changes, including the fueling system and electronics. The shop wanted me to put some miles on the new clutch, flywheel and Terry Haines rebuilt transmission. I should have it back this coming week, and hopefully with some good dyno numbers. :laugh: (Mustang Dyno)

Attachments

• photo16043.jpg
    photo16043.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 0
Nope, can't find anyone that will do the work. The shop that did the work on my SVT, don't want anything to do with modifying the jackshaft. This is the last piece of the puzzle, hope that there is someone in North America that can do the jackshaft mod for me.

My SVT is back at the shop, this time though, to do the final tune after breaking in all of the changes, including the fueling system and electronics. The shop wanted me to put some miles on the new clutch, flywheel and Terry Haines rebuilt transmission. I should have it back this coming week, and hopefully with some good dyno numbers. :laugh: (Mustang Dyno)

Looks great. Nice job sticking with the repairs. It really shows you take care of it.

image_16066.jpg image_16067.jpg Thanks.

I should probably start another thread but here goes anyway. My SVT was dynoed today, final corrected numbers from a Mustang Dyno are 268whp at ~6400rpm, 218lbsft at ~5800rpm. To compare, the previous Mustang Dyno HP number was 225WHP before any of the updates to the supercharger kit, etc. The previous Dynojet number was 267whp at ~7000rpm, 202lbsft at ~5900rpm, with the Vortech supercharger kit as supplied, and a custom Superchip provided by Vortech, and no aftercooler. Also, there is last dyno run when the SVT was still N/A.

Changes made included a new aftercooler, new/larger fuel injectors (39lbs, upsized from stock 19lbs), removal of Vortech FMU, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 3.125 " SC Pulley (from stock Vortech supplied pulley, 3.33") and a custom SCT Xcal4 tune.

Summary, if you have a look at the old Dynojet run compared to the current Mustang dyno run, the biggest difference is the area under the curve and the engine builds more horsepower sooner and builds more overall torque over the entire rev band. Just a reminder, we're comparing Dynojet Dyno Numbers to Mustang Dyno Numbers, Dynojet numbers are usually 15%+ inflated over Mustang numbers, Mustang numbers being more realistic.

The SVT is now making approximately 20%+ more HP and TQ than before. This definitely puts a smile on my face. :D

Back