• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l uims and throttle body's

svtfixer

Veteran CEG'er
which 3l uims can you use with which throttle body's? i want to use at least an optimized svt but eventually a mustang tb.

I don't know the full answer because I'm in middle of prepping my 3L at the moment and haven't finalized which exact parts will go on the intake side. I was doing a lot of reading on the threads involving Tricker's 3L UIM experiences and one thing he pointed out was that a 65 mm tb didn't make sense because the inner diameter of the newer Escape, Mazda and Taurus UIMs was 63 mm. He may have even gone as far as saying he tried a 65 mm tb and felt his engine lost some of its gains. Seems to me the choice is to go with a 60 mm tb and optimize it such that it's cross section is effectively about 63 mm.

A 2002 Taurus 60 mm tb will definitely fit a 2002 - 2004 Taurus and 2005 Escape UIM and it looks like it fits an ST220 but I haven't confirmed this yet. No adapter plate is needed for the IAC passage unless the IAC location causes interference with the hood. The Taurus UIM doesn't appear to have this problem but it is unclear to me if the 2005 Escape IAC location is a problem. All of Tricker's pictures of his installation are gone and he purposely elevated the rear of his hood by 1 inch to accommodate the later Mazda UIM. I get the impression that Tricker was the only one to successfully install later Escape intake (his was a 2007).

The SVT tb can definitely be used but an adapter plate must be made to complete the IAC air passage.

i've had a 3l before, split port but im building a full 3l now which i will strap the vortec on. im used to the split port intakes not really the 3.0s. on the 2.5s boosted its common practice to use the mustang tbs. i saw someone had A Plate somewhere and i didnt think anything of it until basically today where i finally tried to line them up. that iac vaccum port is gigantic, the mustang tb has none and the svt has a tiny one.

there was a thread somehwhere here in the past talking about the volume of the manfolds and im sure they mentioned the throttle body's but i cant find it for anything when i search.

I think this is the thread you are remembering with regard to UIM volumes:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...manifold-(UIM)-volume&highlight=intake+volume

I think there might be more data in CSVT#49's monster 3L build thread as well as a good tabulation over on NECO forums.

I hope to do a precise measurement on a 2004 Taurus vs. 2005 Escape to confirm previous measurements. I have access to good lab equipment to confirm both through measuring the mass and the volume of water required to fill the manifolds (should be able to complete sometime in the Fall?).

thanks. i re bookmarked that thread but it doesnt really answer the questions i need. no talk about throttle body's.

They all bolt on, its the iac hole sizes in the tb and manifold that are different. Best to keep year to year & model to model the same.

If you are set on a svt tb, i would run a remote iac.

yep, i took jaged's idea and had a plate made. im actually running an st220 manifold now. so if you want a plate like that i have one.
it works well

that may be the quickest way to get it going. im hunting for the 220 but the shipping has been more than the manifold itself lately. the prices on the manifolds are pretty reasonable actually. what tb you got on there? thats the mustang right?

any 65mm tb will be almost the same. i think some are from crown vics mustang and i think theres another car

yea i think i paid close to 400 for the st220 setup

When I bought my ST220 it was 150 for the intake and 150 for shipping. The 65mm TB bolts on the ST220 nicely.

A 2002 Taurus 60 mm tb will definitely fit a 2002 - 2004 Taurus and 2005 Escape UIM and it looks like it fits an ST220 but I haven't confirmed this yet. No adapter plate is needed for the IAC passage unless the IAC location causes interference with the hood. The Taurus UIM doesn't appear to have this problem but it is unclear to me if the 2005 Escape IAC location is a problem. All of Tricker's pictures of his installation are gone and he purposely elevated the rear of his hood by 1 inch to accommodate the later Mazda UIM. I get the impression that Tricker was the only one to successfully install later Escape intake (his was a 2007).

I've had an 06 Escape UIM with a Taurus TB installed for a few years now. The issues I ran into in regards to this UIM were with Escape TB and the IAC location. The Escape throttle cable pulls the opposite way as opposed to the Taurus and Contour cable, so I ended up with a Taurus TB and a modified TB bracket to use the stock cable. The Escape IAC will allow the hood to close, but it will rub on the underside of the hood. I have considered grinding it down but haven't done so yet.

i will need a manifold to fit a better throttle body. the 220's can be had for 400 at any time but thats kind of nuts. im gonna wait and see.

That adapter plate is only ideal for a mustang throttle. Any other mismatched 3L manifold throttle would have a iac hole of some sort at the top of the tb

I've had an 06 Escape UIM with a Taurus TB installed for a few years now. The issues I ran into in regards to this UIM were with Escape TB and the IAC location. The Escape throttle cable pulls the opposite way as opposed to the Taurus and Contour cable, so I ended up with a Taurus TB and a modified TB bracket to use the stock cable. The Escape IAC will allow the hood to close, but it will rub on the underside of the hood. I have considered grinding it down but haven't done so yet.

Thank you very much. That was quite helpful.

there are some really cheap for the manifold itself but im getting really high shipping quotes at the moment.

Back