• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not able to start, replaced starter solenoid and same result.

Kresnik

CEG'er
On my 2000 SVT the starter solenoid seems to have been going down hill for a while. I've been able to start it easily enough with a couple of taps, but that work-around stopped today. I can push the car and pop the clutch in, and she'll run like a champ - just not start. During the last day the car would still start if I tapped on the solenoid, but it seemed as if it was struggling to turn over - like when you have a low battery. But now, it'll not even try to engage the stater. I have a new Red Top battery and electrical otherwise is great, and when the clutch is popped I can reliably drive it anywhere.

I got a new stater solenoid and put it in, but to my amazement it acts exactly as before. If I turn the key over, the lights on the cluster turn like normal but it's as if I am not pressing down the clutch. The clutch switch was broken months ago and I had soldered to ends together and it's been working fine. I double checked that as well as all fuses and found no issues.

I've read that some people jump the stater relay, and I can find the relay just fine - but which pins do you jump to force it to start? I don't have a volt/ohm meter here,so I cannot test anything properly. I'm hoping it's just a bad relay, specifically the yellow one next to the battery.

Any help on which pins in the relay socket to jump would be great!!

:)

I would say that it needs a whole new starter. Take it out and have it bench tested.

To manually use the starter there is a single wire next to the positive battery terminal that is for the starter.

That's the single wire that runs to the 10mm bolt on the solenoid, which has a disconnect in the middle - yes? Do I simply bridge that to the positive terminal?

Replaced the 175A inline fuse as well as the starter relay, same results. Curious though why tapping on the old solenoid would allow for it to start until yesterday. Seemed pretty cut and dry that the solenoid was on the way out and just completely bit it - but a new one isn't doing anything either. Double checked the wiring, even jumped (pins 3/5 I think?) from the starer relay and no dice. It really acts exactly like trying to start it with out the clutch pedal depressed. ••••ing annoying. :/

Maybe the clutch switch could be bad. Not sure how to test that.

The switch was broken months ago and I had soldered both wires together. I checked out the solder connection and it's still strong. My wife can hear the starter relay click over when I turn the key, so it's really looking more to be the starter itself. I ran a bridge from the battery+ to the smaller signal wire on the starter, and still no dice. I tore the stater down and the only thing that seemed obvious was that 3/4 of the brushes were really worn, perhaps less than 25% left on 'em and they are distorted like they had melted at some point. One brush looked okay, it was pushing through the housing about a half-an-inch, or so (as it should), and wasn't warped. I wonder if I can simply buy a set of those brushes at a local parts store. If I had the money I'd just get a new starter, but I've only $40 to my name right now. :/

worn brushes will keep a starter from working. acts very similar to a weak battery, starter will spin slower and slower each time until eventually it stops working

Yes and worn brush does not contact with as much pressure, you gotta have full contact to carry the over 100 amp current there..........if starter shaft bushings worn also then starter will be dragging to push the required current amount even more.

'... it seemed as if it was struggling to turn over - like when you have a low battery.'

Says it all...........

Doesn't seem like there is much to add to this at the moment. I just wanted to mention how there is something perversely satisfying about having your car go from not working(starting) to running again with a few swings of a hammer. While the need to do it sucks, I have always found it somewhat amusing.

I absolutely refuse to live in that type environment, if my car does not do every single little thing I want out of it and 100% of the time, I fix it to do so. Simply unacceptable...........

Back