• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

UIM Cleaning tips and tricks

dfrank

New CEG'er
I would like to be able to load the UIM cleaning procedure from the Duratec Maintenance Sticky -- I'm just getting un-rendered PHP code (I think) -- is there a browser or plugin I need to read the Duratec Maintenance procedures?

Seperate question -- where would I look for how to access the VSS? I assume it is by removing the LF wheel...?

The first question soared right over my head, as i'm far from a techie. As for the second inquiry; The VSS is located on top of the transmission bell housing. It sits right next to the shift cables 'C' brackets. Taking the left wheel off makes it easier to see, yes. But i've always been able to take it off by jacking the car really high, & reaching it from the bottom.

No plugin is going to help the issues with forums/posts not showing. It something the site owners need to fix.

On the UIM cleaning, I suggest removing entirely and using a good carbon cleaner. I've found that a long plastic fiber brush with a wire handle does a good job of loosening things up after a soak.

The search feature around here has sucked for a while. Especially the archives. I'm sure at some point, they'll fix them. There really isn't much to cleaning the upper & lower manifolds. U simply take them off & go to town with carb cleaner & a long skinny brush to get inside the crevices. And of course, make sure you've got healthy gaskets. If not, now would be the perfect time to replace them.

Just got done with this, and here's how it went...

My SVT has 110K on it, which in the grand scheme of things doesn't seem like that much...I was kind of shocked at just how bad the crud was inside my intakes. The crap was really crusted on, and it was *thick*. Once I got both manifolds off, it was a breeze to do the spark plugs lol.

IMG_20140815_192847_470_zps04457e4f.jpg

Also pulled the water pump last night, and am doing the thermostat, IAC, and DPFE all at the same time. It's all a lot easier with everything taken apart.

Anyway, on to cleaning the things... Here's what the manifolds looked like when they came off the car:

IMG_20140815_192919_395_zps0dadfe17.jpg

IMG_20140815_192908_084_zps314a9210.jpg

IMG_20140815_192902_386_zps0fc7822c.jpg

What a mess. So, here's how I cleaned it...
First, find a plastic tote or bin in the shed, and take the Christmas decorations out of it.
Second, fill it with water as hot as you can get it. Bathtub works well. At least until your wife sees what you're doing lol.
Third, dump in about a half a gallon of Simple Green.
Finally, put your intakes in it and let them take a nice long bath...

IMG_20140815_194042_345_zps21adf7a6.jpg

I've used this soaking technique on other equipment with too many small parts to clean otherwise, and it works pretty well (if slowly). If you could heat it, it would work faster. Give it a couple of days in the tub, and then take it to the carwash and use the high pressure hose on the inside and outside. You'll get a little wet when you hit the butterflies lol.

Here's how they turned out... It's kind of hard to tell, but they look good. I did a little final cleanup with some carb cleaner and shop towel.

IMG_20140817_163122_156_zps376226a8.jpg

IMG_20140817_163343_435_zpsea6687f8.jpg

I like this method because it works and it requires virtually no labor. It does take a couple of days though, so if you need to drive the thing to work the next day, it's probably not for you lol.

Anyway, the manifolds will go back on once I get a bunch of the other stuff done... Waiting on parts right now. I'm also going to be installing an oil sepparator in the PCV line...as much fun as this has been, I'm not planning on doing it again any time soon lol.

Well done. This is definitely one of those "whatever work, works" type of jobs. I did soak mine just like yours, but only did it for an afternoon. Carb cleaner and brush did the rest of the work.

Don't know why you can't see it, it shows up fine for me, except for the broken image links. Here is the text...

FIRSTLY:
There is already a very well written HOW-TO to rebuild the UIM/LIM/Injectors. I HIGHLY recommend that you print this off before starting, as well.
UIM/LIM rebuild
I will state that this is not, in any way, an attempt to correct, change, nor replace the rebuild how-to linked above. This was created because several members stated that the how-to lacked physical locations, or pictures of "real-world" removal, and they were lacking in confidence to do this procedure. THE BEST RESULTS will come by reading the rebuild, and following it to a "T", using these supplied pictures as merely aides..
I have numbered the steps in this aid to reflect to the original how-to's steps (same numbers)(linked above), for ease of transition.

Parts needed:
# Upper intake manifold gasket P/N F5RZ-9H486-BA (1 set) ~US $18
# (Looking for part numbers for 1998+ return and returnless injector O-rings, email Lance if you have these)
# OPTIONAL UIM Plastic Retainer Grommet with brass insert sleeve F5RZ-2A411-A ~US $8-10
# Throttle body gasket:
  • Regular non SVT Duratec
    F5RZ-9E936-A
  • SVT Duratec
    F5DZ-9E936-AE

# EGR gasket E6AZ-9D476-B US $1.35
# IAC gasket E83Z-9F670-A ~US <$1
# Several clean shop rags.
# Roll of shop towels (the blue kind). Great absorbency for cleaning.
# Brush with brass bristles (say that 10 times fast)

# A couple or three (or more) cans of Berryman's B12 spray, or liquid. (your choice.. I use two liquids and a spray, for heard to reach areas) (around 2.50 a can)
# A wire brush (not "sharp" bristles, just stiff..)
# A BUNCH of shop towels.. you can get a blue roll from a parts store for less than 3.00
# OPTIONAL Injector nose O-rings FOPZ-9229-A (pkg of 10) US $7.57 (1995-97 only)
# OPTIONAL Upper injector O-rings F5RZ-9229-AB (comes in a pkg of 6, but you are charged for each) US $17.16 (1995-97 only)

(Looking for part numbers for 1998+ return and returnless injector O-rings, email Lance if you have these)
# Lower intake manifold gasket F5RZ-9439-B (1 set) US $18.10
# Fuel rail to lower intake manifold seals F5RZ-9P867-A (you need 6) US $13.32 for 6 (1995-97 only)
# Injector wiring clip:

• Clip number: WPT336
  • Part number: 3U2Z-14S411-JPA

# OPTIONAL Fuel pressure regulator F4SZ-9C968-A US $41.81
# OPTIONAL IMRC linkage grommets (3 for 1995-97, 2 for 1998+) F5RZ-9F955-AB ~US $15
# OPTIONAL UIM Plastic Retainer Grommet with brass insert sleeve F5RZ-2A411-A ~US $8-10
# OPTIONAL Small amount of clean motor oil for the injector O-rings.
# OPTIONAL Replacement PCV valve, while your in there you might as well change it.

To start off with, cool the engine down.. don't do this on a hot engine.

• Disconnect the Negative terminal of your battery. (so that it will reset and re-learn the new air amounts it can breathe!!!)
  • Start off by removing the plastic cover on the front of the engine.
  • Now disconnect the sensors on your intake tract: There is one on your Throttle body, one on your MAF, and one between the two, on your intake plenum. Also remove the rubber hose that connects to the "front" edge of the air plenum

as well as the two hoses on the "rear" side(one large one, and one smaller one beneath it.)
  • Disconnect the IAC electrical connector (silver roll of film on the firewall side of the TB.
  • Remove the air filter, and air intake plenum so that you are looking directly at the Throttle Body (unobstructed)
  • Disconnect throttle cable from the TB and the cruise control cable, if equipped. For 1995 5-speed vehicles, take care not to lose the metal clip for the throttle cable when you are removing it. Once the cable is removed the clip will slide right off. This is accomplished by manually "revving" the throttle body to its MAX point, then sliding your finger around the bottom of the fixture. Work the metal cable out as you go (it should pop out of a "groove" that goes all around the fixture) pulling it towards the firewall, so that when you let GO of the TB, it will return to its normal position, but without the cable in the groove. Simply push the small silver cylinder at the end of the cable out of the hole, and you are done. (Cruise control simply "pops" off)
  • The next item that is holding out UIM to the car is the EGR. It is located on the driver's side of the engine, to the rear, and is a silver "UFO" looking device on top of some rough metal. Remove the green vacuum hose on top of this BUT BE CAREFUL.. they are brittle and WILL SNAP IN A HEARTBEAT! Once that is off the top of the EGR, remove the two bolts holding the egr to the UIM, and slide the EGR away from the UIM area.
  • remove the three bolts that hold the Throttle Bracket to the UIM area (one is a double-duty kind of bolt.. it holds one corner of the TB itself, AND the bracket..
  • Remove the Throttle Body, and set it aside, too...
  • You now need to remove the two vacuum hoses on the TOP of the UIM. Hold your fingernail against the tiny round plastic circles that are around each tube. While holding, pull up on the tube itself.. like buttah, it'll slide right out.
  • That looks like that's about it, huh? Don't forget this little bugger on the firewall side, just to the passenger side of the IAC. This is the EVR(There is no gasket for this)
  • Loosen all six of the UIM bolts on top of the UIM, and set them aside (don't get mixed up on which bolts go where, now! take a piece of cardboard, and smash each bolt in the cardboard, to hold it, and then use a marker and write "UIM bolts" etc, so you can have a temporary storage area that will keep things seperated!

FROM THE UIM REBUILD FAQ!
  • Now that the UIM bolts are out, the uim will be loose, and "float" on top.. lift straight up, and slide the UIM off the car, and lay it somewhere soft (don't scratch that beautiful coating on it, or the ports on the bottom side!
  • Remove the caked on gaskets that will be remaining, and toss them (Yes, I know.. they look FINE.. almost like you could re-use them.. right? Did you hear me? TOSS EM!!!!!)
  • Cover the openings of the lower intake with clean rags to keep anything from falling into the openings. Anything that falls in will likely end up in the head or the cylinders themselves.

This is a good time to get a drink, step back, and admire the destruction you've caused.

DING.. time to work again.

END OF UIM REMOVAL..
If you are performing a UIM ONLY cleaning (I don't PERSONALLY see why you would skip the LIM, THIS far in to it, but to each their own), just begin cleaning the UIM components, and reinstall in the reverse order.

LIM REMOVAL
To remove the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) we will continue on from where we left off (We just took off the UIM, and set it aside, remember?

You should be looking at the LIM, like this:

Disconnect the electrical connectors (Black wires in the hard container running across the injectors)from the injectors by pushing the metal wire in and then pulling the connector, or you can remove the wire retainers, using care as not to drop them into the engine bay.
Once they are all pushed in, you can slide the wiring harness off of all the injectors and move it aside.
(You will probably have to [and I suggest you do] undo the wires from the small threaded studs on the passenger side of the LIM area [they just hold all the wiring nice and tidy...] so you have enough slack..) as stated in Step 17 of the rebuild how-to.
Once removed, it should look like this:

• Relieve the residual pressure from the fuel system. Locate the fuel pressure relief valve (Schrader valve) on the fuel line. Remove the cap and wrap a rag around the valve before relieving the pressure in order to catch the fuel. The relief valve looks just like a tire valve stem.

This can be seen here:

and here

19. Disconnect the IMRC linkage at the front set of ports. The grommets holding the linkage to the lower intake will likely disintegrate on older cars. Consider having new ones on hand. They are expensive little items from Ford (~$5 each, see parts list for part #).

20.Remove the seven 8mm bolts that retain the injectors and fuel rail (fuel injection supply manifold). BE CAREFUL, as the injector retaining clips can come off and fall below the lower intake. If you do not intend to remove the lower intake, they can be hard to recover.

(1) Fuel Supply Line
(2) Fuel Pressure Regulator
(3) Fuel Injector
(4) Fuel Injector Retainer
(5) Bolt (7 required)
(6) Lower Intake Manifold
(7) Fuel Injector Seal
(8) IMRC Linkage Rod Bushings
(9) IMRC Linkage Rod

21.You can now reposition the fuel rail with the injectors still in the rail so that you can work at removing the injectors and the fuel rail to intake manifold seals. It is recommended that you remove the fuel rail prior to removal of the injectors as residual fuel can drain directly into the cylinders.

Fuel rail and injectors (still connected together) coming off of the LIM:

Fuel rail removed from LIM: (set aside)

22.(1995-97 only) Remove the fuel rail to intake manifold seals. You will need to replace these seals if they are older than 2 years! They become hard with time and fail to seal the fuel rail to the lower intake manifold, causing unmetered air to enter the head.

23. Carefully remove the clips that retain the injectors onto the fuel rail -- they tend to fall off by themselves.

24.(1995 only) Remove the IMRC valve from the lower intake manifold, which is attached via two 8mm bolts. Set the valve assembly aside.

25.Remove the vacuum line from the top of the fuel pressure regulator and set aside.
(You can see the pressure regulator in the first secondary linkage picture.. rubber boot attached to the top of the silver round regulator.

If you are replacing the FPR itself, please note:
Originally posted by ck42:
After getting everything together, I started it up the first time. It was HARD to start! Had to crank it a LOT...even with multiple fuel pump primings. Started to back out of the garage and noticed a huge puddle of something liquid. Got out and noticed it was gas. Pulled back in and proceeded to pull the UIM off again. Got the wife to prime the pump as I watched. Turns out it was coming out of the new fuel pressure regulator.
I took off the regulator and compared it to the original. .
The new regulator didn't have the three washers on it. It didn't have them because I didn't order them.....
Anyway, pulled the old washers off the original regulator (no choice) and put them on and proceeded to put everything back together again.

You may wish to snag three new FPR washers.

26.Unbolt the seven 8mm lower intake manifold bolts, observing the proper removal sequence:

27.Remove the lower intake from the heads. It will likely be covered in oily residue, so place on some clean rags or newspaper.
This is a picture of the heads after the LIM has been removed:

28. Cover the openings in the heads with clean rags to keep anything from falling into the openings. Anything that falls in will end up in the head or the cylinders themselves.

29. Thoroughly clean the lower intake. Ideally, you�d want to let it soak in a chemical dip, but that will likely damage the butterfly shaft seals. Have several cans of intake cleaner on hand and a brass brush for cleaning the intake out. (1995-97) Be sure the clean the ports that mate with the fuel rail very well.

LIM AFTER CLEANING will look something like this:

30. Turn the IMRC stop screw (3/8" for some reason) on the lower intake so that the secondary butterflies cannot fully close. This will help keep the secondary passages from building up caked on oil by keeping the passages cooler. It does not affect low-end performance, and actually benefits mid-range before the IMRC normally opens. � of the travel on the screw is a good setting. It is recommended that only 95-97 cars do this -- later models develop drivability problems, especially SVT's.

31Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces on the heads, being careful as not to let any dirt/crud fall into the heads themselves. Using a rag and the air intake cleaner, clean all items that have the brown gas residue on it like the fuel rail, and fuel injector retaining clips, and other surfaces on the heads. This crud can cause a fuel smell that can enter the cabin. If you do not clean it up, you will still have the smell.

These are the heads after a thorough cleaning:

If you wish, you can clean up and put everything back together. If you wish to perform a "fuel system rebuild", click this link. how to coming soon

CLEAN THE UIM COMPONENTS: So.. you now have the LIM and UIM undone?
The IAC is still attached to your UIM, right? (silver roll of film looking thing on the firewall side of the TB, remember??)

well.. let's get that done really quick:

• Replacing the IAC gasket:
    (From IAC faq)
    Over time, the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve becomes sticky due to buildup from the EGR and PCV systems. It can stick partially open such that idle quality is adversely affected, and engine RPM's will not drop below 1500. For a while, blipping the throttle will restore normal idle, but this only works for so long.

The fix is to remove the IAC valve by unbolting the two 8mm bolts that hold it on and disconnected the wiring plug. If you are careful enough, replacement of the gasket will not be necessary. The gasket costs less than US $1.00, so it is no tragedy if you destroy it. Once the valve is off, spray it out with some carb/intake cleaner and make sure any gunky residue is gone. Reattach, and you are done. It is a lot cheaper than a new IAC, which runs around US $70. Note: Ford claims the IAC cannot be cleaned, but this is not true in my experience.

Take your UIM, and go somewhere that is safe to have dirty, carbon crudded liquid poured (metal bin, etc.. it will kill the grass, and stain the driveway, and strip the finish off the top side of the uim if spilled, just so you know..)

Turn it upside down, and look:

• Using the B12 spray and liquid:
    Clean all that carbon crap out of each port, and also out of the TB mating hole. Also take care to clean the small "cut-out" path within the TB hole, as that is the EGR passageway, and can cause P0401 codes if gunked up.

Clean the TB (Throttle Body ) well. (including EGR ports as stated above)

Installation:
    Install new lower intake gaskets in the guide holes on the heads.
    Reinstall the now-clean lower intake back on the heads. Tighten bolts to 72-108 INCH-lbs, observing the proper tightening sequence:

42. Install the new fuel rail to lower intake manifold seals onto the bottom of the fuel rail. (1995-97 only)

43. Reinstall the fuel rail on to the lower intake manifold.

44. Carefully install the injector retaining clips. When installing the clips be sure that they are installed so that they do indeed retain the injector. The clips need to go under the slight lip on the fuel rail -- you will need to push down on the injector slightly to get them under that lip.

45. Tighten the seven 8mm fuel rail retaining bolts to 72-108 INCH-lbs. Order does not matter.

46. # (1995 only) Reinstall the IMRC valve to the lower intake and connect the linkage. The linkage grommets have likely disintegrated, so it is probably a good idea to have three new ones on hand.

47. Install the upper to lower manifold seal onto the lower manifold, making sure to get the guide pins on the gasket into the holes on the lower manifold.

48. Reinstall the injector wiring to the injectors. Make sure that the connectors cannot pop off the injector with a light tug.

49. Reinstall your fuel pressure regulator vacuum tubing. (That rubber elbow piece, remember?)
  • If your UIM is sufficiently shiny, take your new gaskets, (upper intake to lower intake) and apply them to the LIM (inserting the alignment studs on the gasket in to the holes on the LIM.
  • place the UIM on the gaskets (it will "float", there are no alignment, or locating pins. It will float until you secure it will the UIM bolts.
    Tighten in the correct sequence:

If you are going to perform a TB optimization, now's the time to do it.. look up that How-to on the site, and have at it..)

• Continue putting things back together in the reverse order they were taken apart. All torque specs in this area are 72-108 inch-lbs., except for the EGR valve which is 15-22 ft-lbs.(from FAQ)
  • When installing anything with a new "gasket" (other than lim/uim) such as TB, or EGR) make sure to get ALL of the old gasket off of both mating surfaces before applying new gasket, and re-installing.
  • After you get everything back together, stop and look around to see if you missed anything.
  • Before starting the car, turn the key to the on position, wait 2-3 sec., turn the key off. Repeat 3 times in order to prime the fuel system.
  • You can now start the car. It should start right up. You may have a little smoke after start up from the oil used on the o-rings. Once the car is started check under the hood for any unusual sounds.

Your UIM and LIM are done.

MUCH thanks and credit go to PlatoSVT, without whom I wouldn't have been able to complete the LIM portion! Great work, man. Thank you.

APPROX. TIME AND COST:
UIM Gaskets- $22.60
LIM Gaskets- $18.04
IAC Gasket- $.45
TB Gasket- $3.00
EGR Gasket- $2.25
*Optional* Fuel Injector O-Rings- $6.80
*Optional* Torque Wrench- $9.95
6 Cans Valvoline Synpower Throttle Body Cleaner- $19.74
Small Brass Bristle Brush- $2.99
Large Roll of Shop Towels- $4.99
~ 3-6 Hours