• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake upgrade inquiry

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I've read posts about the focus brake upgrades, but what I really want is a big brake kit so this thing will stop better than it goes. BAT doesn't sell big brake kits anymore per some clueless kid I talked to on the phone during my recent order. About the only thing I've seen that still seem to be available are the kits on TCE performance. I think this is the route I'm going to go, and I wantd to see what others thought. It appears their rear kit retains the stock caliper with bigger rotors, so e-brake should be fine, right? Any other ideas before I spend the money on these kits? Thanks all.

Check out PRT. He sells brackets that will allow you to use the PBR (baer, cobra, mach1) calipers and brackets on the front along with 13" rotors. This requires a little more work on your end to source all the parts seperately but will be cheaper in the end. And im sure he can help you source what you need. His rear bracket which I use allows you to run the fsvt front 11.8" rotor on the rear of your contour.

Agreed with solo. The Baer or PRT front kit is the best bang for the buck. I would hold out on the rears until PRT releases their rear kit that doesn't require rotor turning.

I guess I'll wait and talk to PRT, bu I'm curious he much less it would be. Depending on what kit I would get from TCE I'm looking at $1850 for front and rear. That includes SS lines.

I've only got $310 in my full PRT cobra brake setup for the front. That's the PRT bracket kit, and factory caliper brackets, calipers, pads, rotors, and new lines.

I've only got $310 in my full PRT cobra brake setup for the front. That's the PRT bracket kit, and factory caliper brackets, calipers, pads, rotors, and new lines.

It's definitely possible to get away cheaper based on choices you make. Street pads, no powder coating on the calipers, and solid rotors help!

Were you able to get that low with all new parts?

Thanks, that's a pretty significant difference in price. I had been on PRT's site and looked at the kits, but once I read that I had to source all of the other parts I mentally signed-off. I sometimes need things spelled out and made easy, at least the first time through, so the appeal of buying it all at once with one kit was nice. Maybe I'll check out the Baer kit too, but it seems easy enough to pick up the parts. What about the rear? I only see a front brake kit on PRT's site.

Here's a pic of my front pbr/Baer setup. I have $450ish in this with all new/reman parts and powder coating done by myself. I did alot of searching for the best deals but I think you could put together a setup for around $600 pretty easily with the prt brackets
ehavega4.jpg

And my rear brakes with 11.8" rotors with prt bracket kit. Pretty much cost of kit and rotors.
eny8uqe9.jpg

u4a4adyq.jpg

Cool. Good info. So the old PRT kit isn't available anymore, and I'm guessing he Milan kit isn't either? I'll reach out to PRT soon and likely get both kits from him. So that would mean cobra brakes on the font and svt focus on the rear?

So PRT says he has two of the older style rear kits left over, so that seems like a pretty good deal. I'm considering the front cobra kits too, but to get calipers, pads, rotors and lines the cost is adding up. Solo I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places, I'm over $1k. If you have a list of part numbers you used to put your Baer kits together I'd certainly take a look. The front kits on TCE start at $850, and that's everything, with 12.2" rotors and 4 piston calipers. The cobra kit utilizes 2 piston calipers IIRC.

TCE 13" with drilled/slotted rotors is pushing $1,400. Just gonna leave this here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baer-Brakes...-Mystique-13-front-Track-system-/260952064760

Enjoy.

Wow, thanks. I assumed it was all pieced together, and not sold as a kit. That's almost too easy.
The TCE kits actually start at $849. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/contour/cougar/kits-19/

Edit: So I just called Baer and ordered that kit with just slotted and non/coated rotors. Thanks! That was way easy. I'll grab the rear kit from PRT and some FSVT powerslots and be done. Thanks for your help!

Wow, thanks. I assumed it was all pieced together, and not sold as a kit. That's almost too easy.
The TCE kits actually start at $849. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/contour/cougar/kits-19/

For the smaller, solid rotors yes. The 4 pot calipers are nicer, but for street driving you won't notice the difference. $650 new for the Baer kit is a steal man. I paid that much for my kit from a member here on the forums and thought I made out like a bandit. With the price difference and you can get the calipers powdercoated, or just put it towards the rear PRT kit.

Either way (Baer, Cobra, TCE) you can't really go wrong. For my money I'd just go with the Baer front kit.

Last question I think… If using the PRT brackets on the rear, and I'm swapping to SS lines, would the stock length brake line still work?

Back